Saturday, December 12, 1981

Christmas in Biel (12/1981)

Saturday, December 5, 1981
I left for the post office at 8:00, keeping an eye out for posters about any St Nicklaus Tag/St Nicholas Day events, but nothing. At the Post, Telefon und Telegraph (PTT), I went to the telephone section and was directed to booth 3 to make a long distance call. I called the Ls at 9:00, direct dialing and Tom answered, going to get Dot. I let them know when I was arriving in Prague, where they are now assigned. They told me not to worry about how much Czech money I had to purchase, because they would buy whatever I had leftover. The call was leisurely but short, costing only 7.70 CHF/$3.85.
Telephone receipt
Train day pass
I took the 9:14 train to Bern and called the Czech consulate, but they were closed. Caught the 10:32 train for Geneva, arriving shortly after noon. I tried out the new yellow escalator and found myself in a new underground shopping mall. They have finally finished the renovation that I had first seen in the summer of 1979! It seemed like opening day with a jazz band playing and girls handing out cookie samples. Mimes were handing out flowers and there were balloons for the kids.
Exited onto Rue Mont Blanc which was lined with real evergreen trees, crudely decorated with household-size light bulbs and round ornaments. Went to McDonald’s for a fish sandwich and fries (hmm, getting to be a weekly thing…).
Finally found “The Swiss Cookbook” in English and bought two copies. I had wanted one for my mother, but I have already sent off the package. Paid more than I would have in the U.S., even with New York City tax of 8%!
I returned to the new mall and saw long lines at La Placette department store. The lines went to colorful makeshift telephone booths. They were offering free 3-minute telephone calls to anywhere in the world! Sure enough, the people in the lines were representative of the U.N. I figured I could call home in Suffern, but they had run out of the “take a number” tickets. Too many people; oh, well. (A phone call to the U.S. costs $4/minute.)
Caught the 14:43 train to Bern. A couple got on and the girl asked in French if the seats were free. I said, “Oui.” They proceeded to have a conversation in British English where they “criticised” everything!
Change to the 16:41 to Biel. A lot of hippie types boarded the train, perhaps on their way home from a demonstration. They had balloons proclaiming “Für Frieden und Abrüstung/For Peace and Disarmament.”
In Biel I finally found a poster that said Sämichlaus/Santie Claus was coming to Marktgasse/Market Lane that day at 14:00. I missed him!

Sunday, December 6, 1981
Today is the traditional St Niklaus Tag/St Nicholas Day. But I later found out that in Biel, Sämichlaus/Santie Claus comes a week later than the rest of the country. One legend has it that because of the fire in the old town in 1367, the baker did not have enough time to bake enough Lebkuchen/honey cakes and so the holiday was postponed to the second Tuesday in December. It is on St Nicholas Day when Sämichlaus delivers gifts or switches, depending upon behavior that year.

Monday, December 7, 1981
I saw Sämichlaus today! He was riding in a car on his way to the children’s home in Ried. We have been having a lot of rain and I got soaked going to and from Ried.
Later I heard Sämichlaus  or at least his bells as he wandered through the Kinderspital/Children's Hospital. He left each child a bag with a couple tangerines, a small box of chocolates, a couple small bags of nuts, hard candies, and a Lego toy. I didn’t see any switches!

Wednesday, December 9, 1981
Tonight was the hospital staff Christmas party and buffet supper. I didn’t hear about it until this week and the deadline to sign up was last Friday. No one else in the CP Station was going, until Fr. Dr. B’s secretary, Susanne E, decided to go and insisted that I go as well; we didn’t need to sign up.
I “dressed up,” wearing my best work clothes, hoop earrings, and my gold watch! Went down at 19:30. Susanne was also in work clothes (she usually wears peasant dresses), and she saved me a seat. There were three rows of tables in the staff cafeteria topped with white tablecloths decorated with candles and pieces of evergreen. There were bottles of red wine, fizzy water, and Coca-Cola. Later they brought out white wine with the Wildermeth label.
The buffet opened at 20:00, but since the tables were called up one by one, we had a long wait. There was liver pâté, deviled eggs, and slices of cold cuts including ham, turkey, roast beef, and beef tongue. Tuna and chicken salads, and tomatoes carved to look like baskets filled with corn. Several types of cheeses and a whole fish. After a “Guete/Bon Appétit!” everyone settled down to eat. Herr S, the hospital director, came around to ask “Schmeckt’s/Tastes good?” He then asked me if I understood that. “Jawohl!” Some people went for second helping, but I was stuffed.
A bell started ringing, and a black-cloaked Sämichlaus/Santie Claus arrived with his chimney sweep-looking helper, Schmutzli/Dirty One. They began dispensing prank gifts. Medicine for Monday illnesses for Herr S. Alpine fresh air in jars for the receptionist (the reception area had been suffering from literal ill winds). A clock for Frau L, the housekeeper, because the cafeteria never opens on time.  They joked about a dirty kitchen and Frau L was highly insulted and left the room crying. The old man who runs errands was given a monthly pass for the bus. An intern was given a medal for always being in a good mood, and another was given a large heart to wear so that the girls wouldn’t miss him as he is such a sweetheart. A recording of yodeling to the American doctor because she has such a good voice, and next year she was expected to yodel for us. A toy bed for intensive care because they never have enough beds.
Apparently it was the turn of the laboratory department to plan this year’s entertainment, so a couple of their employees received gifts, one a pair of funny glasses for driving and another got hiking boots and sneakers because she says she would like to walk to work, but always has an excuse. A calendar for the head nurse who is always on vacation. Corkscrews for the surgical unit, etc. At the end, the chief doctor received a switch!
Herr S stood up to thank everyone and to make some announcements. One of the cooks won second prize in some cooking contest; she was congratulated and given a gift (a cookbook!). She had prepared the fish tonight. Two employees of long standing (16 and 13 years) were given fruit baskets. He then gave formal holiday greetings in German and French. The girl who lives in the room next to mine laughed out loud at his French. Poor Herr S doesn’t seem to command much respect. The head nurse also gave thanks and holiday greetings. The surgical unit gathered around the piano where the American doctor played and they sang Christmas songs. She then sang a solo in an operatic voice. It took me a while to realize she was singing in English!
Dessert was passed out: a slice of ice cream cake for everyone and a plate of cookies for the table. Jan had warned me that the cookies are often very hard. I was careful, although only the chocolate ones were hard. The specialty seemed to be two layers of soft white cookie with jam in between. A hole in the top layer allowed you to peek at the jam. These cookies were picked out first! There was also coffee.
Next three of the unit head nurses were called up and they had to do something with newspapers (put them in some order?). They frantically shuffled the papers.
Later the intensive care staff came wearing baggy pants with suspenders and ties. Now we know why one of the girls had just asked Dr. L for his tie, and he had reluctantly handed it over as it was his only one. They sang a song about food and being fat or something. Then Dr. L and Dr. R sang a song in which they made up amusing verses about the hospital and staff, while Dr. L played a guitar.
Next representative nurses from each of the four units were called up to sit in chairs and be blindfolded. Three doctors and a fellow from the kitchen had to stand in front of the nurses and bend over as the nurses stitched a fabric heart onto their derrieres. There were lots of squeals of pain, probably feigned!
The excitement seemed to be over, so I left at 23:30.
Words to German Christmas songs

Friday, December 11, 1981
When I awoke I could barely open my left eye; the eyelid was swollen. The eye was not bloodshot and there was no pain, but it looked terrible! I thought about wearing sunglasses, but it was raining. Went to the Biel train station where my ticket for Prague was ready, at 201.80 CHF/$101. Then went to get my reservation for Prague. Bought a half-price ticket for Bern (6.20 CHF/$3) and caught the 8:52 train to Bern, arriving at 9:20. I read my Time magazine, so that I would always be looking down to hide my swollen eyelid. In Bern I started walking to the Konsulat von Tschechien/Czech consulate, crossing the Kirchenfeld bridge into “new” territory for me. Followed Marienstrasse, then Kollerweg. There was a park along the riverbank with many winding paths. Passed the Dutch Embassy, turned right on Muristrasse to walk quite a ways. Just past a circle at Ostring, I followed a sign for the alley to #53 Muristrasse. Number 53 was a huge mansion behind wrought-iron gates. A sign said the consulate entrance was on Burgernzielweg, so I retraced my steps to Muristrasse and back to Burgernzielweg. There was a small building  by the gate marked as the consulate, so I started towards an unmarked door. A lady came out to ask what I wanted, and I was directed to the second door at the back of the building (the first was marked Privat/Private). I entered and stood at the little window before I noticed a table with visa application forms in five languages, plus carbon paper and pens, a pair of scissors and glue! I filled out a form and used the scissors to trim my passport photos to size and the glue to attach them to the form. I handed in my form and waited less than five minutes to get my visa form. Paid 18CHF/$9.
Receipt for Czech visa
It was only 10:30. I returned to the train station, this time past the bear pits via the Nydegge bridge. Took the 11:41 train back to Biel. I was able to go to work for the afternoon at 13:00. My eyelid was still swollen, but not as noticeably.

No comments:

Post a Comment