Monday, October 12, 1981

Souvenirs and Fondue (10/10-11/1981)

Saturday, October 10, 1981
Train day pass
Took the 8:52 train to Bern where I made my Trans Europe Express (TEE) train reservation for next Saturday. The reservation cost 3 CHF/$1.50. I wonder if I will have to pay a supplement on the train? I had my Eurail Pass validated and had to remind the girl to use a station stamp. Just after I left, I noticed she did not stamp the extra slip inside which you are to keep separate, and returned to have that done.
Walked towards Parliament and you could see snow-covered mountains including Jungfrau even though it was cloudy.
Peek at Alps from Bern
View of Bern and Aare River
Swiss Parliament
(1894 and 1902 by the architect Hans Wilhelm Auer)
Returned to the station to board the 10:25 train to Luzern. It was a local train, but I enjoyed the scenery of cow pastures on hillsides and old Swiss chalets. Many buildings had strings of onions or garlic hanging from the eaves.
Today I went souvenir shopping in Luzeren. Bought a Hummel figurine for 89 CHF/$40 and a Christmas music carousel for 105 CHF/$52.50. They were packed well.
Bought 100 grams of roasted chestnuts from a street vendor for 1.50 CHF/75 cents.
Caught the 13:08 train to Bern. In the family next to me, the mom spoke French, the daughter Swiss-German, and the dad spoke both languages.
Changed to the 14:41 train to Biel. Saw Heidi V, the CP Station Ergotherapeutin/Occupational Therapist. She was on her way home from a music therapy seminar in Thun.

Sunday, October 11, 1981
Found a note on my door to invite me to a fondue dinner with Jan & Kirby. They are an American couple who arrived in September to work at Kinderspital/Children's Hospital Wildermeth CP Station; she as a physiotherapist and he as a special education teacher. They had been here in 1980 on leaves of absence from their jobs in the U.S., leaving in January 1981. Now they are back “permanently” (planning to stay at least two years). Jan speaks French and some Swiss German and Kirby speaks Swiss German (and some French). Jan is a NeuroDevelopmental Treatment (NDT) pediatric coordinator-instructor and studied under Berta Bobath herself!!
I stopped by their room in the Personalhaus/staff residence. They have a double room, nice and big and they have made it look like home, not bare bones like my room!
We walked down to the old town to the Restaurant Au Vieux Valais/Of Old Valais that specializes in fondues and raclette. We had green salad with white wine followed by the fondue with tea. I lost a piece of bread in the melted cheese and was told that in Swiss tradition that meant I had to kiss the person to my left. But I found my piece of bread!
Marion, an old friend of theirs who used to work on the CP Station, came with her friend Olivier. They had a sort of reunion. Olivier is a dentist and wanted to examine Jan’s new crowns!
Walked home in the cool crisp autumn air and there was a nearly full moon.

No comments:

Post a Comment