Sunday, October 4, 1981

Oktoberfest (10/2-3/1981)

Friday, October 2, 1981
Train day pass
Left work a little early (having worked through lunch to compensate) to catch the 18:24 train to Basel, arriving at 19:32. The train information area was crowded, so I went straight to the ticket window to check on connections to Munich. Bought a ticket through Karlsruhe for a whopping 77.40 CHF/$38.79. Boarded the 20:08 train for Karlsruhe. This train was made up of German cars with compartments. Had to double check that the 6-person compartment with plush seats was really 2nd Class. Wonder what 1st Class looks like? Printed handouts at each seat listed the stops and connecting trains. This train was an InterCity (IC) named Hans Holbein (a German artist, probably the Younger). Joined by an Asian girl who asked in German if I wanted to share her chestnuts, then a German lady with lots of luggage. We left 15 minutes late. Passport check was very thorough and our info was written down in a little notebook.
The conductor came later, and I was asked if I had paid a Zuschlag/surcharge (somewhat appropriately named, because it could be translated as a “sock it to you”!). I hadn’t, so I owed 6 Deutsch Marks (DM)/$2.60. I had changed 200 CHF/$100 to 231.80 DM in Biel, so handed over a 10 DM bill. He handed me four coins in change. Later I was to find that instead of four 1-DM coins, I was given three 1-DM coins and one 5-DM coin. The conductor did not have enough change for the Asian girl and told her he would be back. He never did return, and the Asian girl thought she had already paid an expensive Zuschlag. My compartment mates carried on a conversation about drivers licenses.
Arrived in Karlsruhe about 22:00. Used the restroom for 30 Pfennig/15 cents and recognized the station where Kathy C and I once spent the night.
Took the 22:34 train to Stuttgart with one car going all the way to Munich. It was a local car, not having compartments, which I thought was funny for an overnight train. A couple Eastern Europeans boarded. It now seems typical that they have mounds of baggage, this time including a bicycle. Their things filled up two rows of seats, and they barely got seats themselves. An old lady with a beak-nose asked if they were Greek. No, Yugoslavian. The eldest said he had three wives and 15 children. One wife is in Germany and two in Yugoslavia. His friend sitting next to me snickered. The lady seemed doubtful and asked if he was Muslim. He was, so maybe he could be believed. The young girl sitting across from me was knitting a nice sweater. She was going home to her husband, so did not take up the offer to become a 4th wife.
The nosy lady left, and the Yugoslavians got their own row of seats. The young knitter got off to be met by a young blond, and the Yugoslavians declared he was too old for her. (As if they weren’t?! One was a grey-haired patriarch perhaps in his 50s, and the other looked like a caricature of actor Jamie Farr in his 40s.) I was joined by an old German preppie (in his 30s wearing jeans and a pullover sweater) who took off his shoes and put his feet up on the back of the seat in front of him. He seemed very surprised to see his toes sticking out of a big hole in his sock. His solution to this embarrassment was to remove his socks and put his bare feet up on the seatback.

Saturday, October 3, 1981
We left Stuttgart 10 minutes late at 00:30 (or else, German time in 10 minutes behind Swiss time). I slept as much as I could. Several American GIs boarded. They were in jeans, but had the clean cut Army hairdos. They spoke in Southern accents and every other word was unnecessary.
The elder Yugoslavian’s wristwatch alarm went off at 1:00. He just let it beep (because he didn’t know how to turn it off?!). You could see other people checking their watches to be sure they weren’t the ones beeping!
Arrived in München/Munich at 4:00. The ticket area was locked up and the outdoor exits were blocked by chain link fences, so it looked like there was no way out. The station was full of sleeping bodies. It was too early to leave the station anyway, so I found a seat outside a station café to read.  There was a steady breeze and I noted my fingers were turning blue. They opened the chain-link fence gates at 5:00.
A first aid van came driving by with a blue light flashing and he stopped in the middle of the platform. Then an ambulance came in with an occasional blast of the siren. There was a lack of commotion despite the large numbers of people in the station. The ambulance left with somebody in the back.
I noticed the train sitting in front of me wasn’t to leave until 6:53. I decided to sit on the train to warm up. It wasn’t really warm, but at least there was no breeze. When people started boarding the train at 6:30, I got off. The ticket windows were now open, so I explained that I was going to Zürich, but only needed a ticket to the Swiss border. Bought a ticket to San Margarethen for 41.10 DM/$18 with a 4.40 DM/$2 Zuschlag/surcharge.
Got in line for the Tourist Information Office. A group of eight girls heard there is always a long line here, and were happy to be the first in line. They attend a Luxembourg branch of Miami University (Ohio). I was the third group behind a pair of American girls. Just before 8:00 they unlocked the doors and a man set himself up at the door to let us in a few at a time. Since the first 10 people were really only two groups, he let me in as well. I had a dull-witted fat man who first successfully tried to sell me a map (I didn’t have the change to purchase a map from a vending machine earlier). He gave me a general brochure about München before disappearing. He returned to try to sell me a program of October events in the city. I just wanted to know about the Oktoberfest. “Oh, you just go,” he said as he waved out the door. “Go where?” I thought as I left. I noticed a pile of pamphlets at the door and took one in English. When I went out, another person was allowed in.
I read the pamphlet to learn that the Oktoberfest is held in the Wies’n/meadow and traditionally begins in September, running for 16 days until the first Sunday in October. So I was just in time!
But first I was going to Nymphenburg Schloss/Palace. Checked out all the transportation options. There was a confusing system of fare zones and the minimum fare was 2 DM/90 cents. The 24-hour pass seemed to be a huge bargain at 6 DM/$2.60.
Munich 24-hour transit ticket
I validated it in a nearby vending machine before realizing that was for the subway. Went to the tram stop and boarded the second car of a double-car tram, and validated the ticket again. On reading the back of the ticket I saw I had to sign it and it must be accompanied by photo identification. (In retrospect, it didn’t matter where it was validated because it was valid on the subways and buses.) I carefully watched others to see which button to push to alert the driver I wanted to get off!
It was a long ride out to Nymphenburg (1664 by architect Agostino Barelli). Got off with a group of Eastern Europeans and followed the dark-suited men and bescarved women towards the palace. It was at the end of a long canal and looked so plain!
Nymphenburg Schloss/Palace
Nymphenburg Schloss/Palace
Closer I could see gold trim, but still so plain. There were swans, geese, and gulls in front.
Nymphenburg Schloss/Palace
The palace wouldn't open until 10:00, but I could wander the grounds; a long promenade with a non-functioning at this time fountain, and empty flower beds.
Sat on one of the many benches to plan my day. Having been to München several times before, there wasn’t much left to see. Looked for the smaller Amalienborg hunting lodge (1734-39) on the Nymphenburg grounds, a shuttered little building.
Amalienborg Palace
Found the carriage house museum that was still closed. It wasn’t even 9:30 yet, so I decided to skip the museums and took the tram back to the train station. I took another tram to the Residenz/Royal Seat and headed into the side streets to find the Hofbräuhaus/Royal Brewery (1607), a distinctive old building.
Hofbräuhaus/Royal Brewery
Passed a large orange building with tourist buses parked out front. It wasn’t on the map, so I trudged on. Ended up in a nice old section of town, then out into a park with a U-bahn/subway station. I blithely walked through the open gates to the platform where a sign with flipping letters announced the U3 train was arriving on Track 1. You had to open the train doors yourself. A loudspeaker told you to “step back” and the doors closed automatically. The child across from me had a squeaky frog puppet whose tongue kept zipping out. The mother obligingly allowed herself to be mauled by the frog. Only a few of us were left on the train to get off at the last station at the Olympiczentrum/Olympic Center, constructed for the 1972 Summer Olympics. Walked through the Olympic Village, now apartments and a shopping center. You had to cross the highway on pedestrian bridges that reminded me of the Flushing Meadow Fairgrounds. The Olympic sports complex was covered with swoops of sheeting, making it look like a circus tent with randomly placed poles.
Olympiczentrum/Olympic Center
The tent-like structure was designed by German architect and engineer Frei Otto with Günther Behnisch.
The Olympic Tower is like a telecommunications tower.
Olympic Tower
Olympic Tower and Swim Hall
Also saw the distinctive BMW headquarters. First went into the Swim Hall with its Olympic-size pool (really!) which was in use. Next to the Swim Hall was the stadium. Behind it were a lake and a hill with paths winding their way to the top. I tried to use the ladies room, but still didn’t have the correct change. Passed the auditorium, now used for concerts. There were a lot of tourists, even though nothing was going on. Many wore red and white hats, scarves, and sweatshirts.
Olympic Center bus station
Took the U8 subway to the train station. I wanted to take the tram, but missed getting on two of them because I wasn’t aggressive enough to shove my way in. Decided just to walk to the Oktoberfest grounds. Saw crowds of Eastern Europeans at the clothing and electric appliance shops. So that’s what is in all their luggage! Got stuck behind a mixed crowd all headed towards the Oktoberfest and I knew I wasn’t in New York because of their slow pace!
The Oktoberfest started in 1810 as a public festival to celebrate the marriage of Crown Prince Ludwig. It has continued annually, being cancelled 24 times due to cholera epidemics and war.
Oktoberfest entrance
We arrived to what looked like a huge Erie County Fair, with amusement rides, arcade games, lotteries, and food booths. Chocolate hearts in all sizes, from a few inches to a foot across with a message in white.
Chocolate hearts
Also pretzels in similar sizes.
Pretzels
Many, many booths barbecuing chicken and long lines were beginning to form. Wurstel/sausages and mustard, cheeses, fish sandwiches, candies, and even cotton candy (called Papa’s Beard in German).
And then there were the beer halls.
Hofbräuhaus Festhalle/Festival hall entrance
Hofbräuhaus Festhalle/Festival hall
Huge pavilions with swinging doors. I timidly entered one, only to find I wasn’t the only observer in the Armbrustschützen/Crossbowmen Festhalle/Festival Hall. The inside of the pavilion was decorated with flags and streamers, with a platform for a band, and souvenir and pretzel stands. Otherwise the space was taken up with rows of tables with benches or chairs all filled with beer drinkers. Each pavilion seemed better decorated than the last, some had fresh smelling evergreens, and the platform for the band was usually in the middle. After the second pavilion, I saw a band in each one. I was in time for the noon entertainment. As I made my way from the Spatenbräu to the Hofbräuhaus to the Hackerbräu to the Augustinnerbräu to the Pschorrbräu to the Schottenhammel to the Paulanerbräu, and finally the Löwenbräu Festhalle, I heard polkas, yodeling songs, marching songs, and oompah music. Even though I don’t drink beer, I found it was great fun to observe everything. In some tents they poured beer from large barrels into very big pitcher-size mugs.
Kegs of beer
Small kids got Coca-colas, but if you looked over 16 years of age, you got a beer. Vendors walked around selling feathered hats and pretzels. You could order a barbecued chicken or sausages. Smoke hung over the crowds as they toasted and swayed to the music. Everyone was happy!
The Pschorrbräu hall had a carousel of Münchener/Munich clock figures, and outside the Löwenbräu hall there was a mechanical lion drinking from a mug and occasionally growling “Löwenbräu/Lion Brew or Beer.”
Carousel in the Pschorrbräu hall
Saw a building where large fish were being grilled over charcoal.
Grilling fish
The souvenir shops seemed to sell everything and I found a T-shirt with the S-bahn and U-bahn system map. I bought their last one off the display rack. In the Löwenbräu hall I bought a mug that “only” cost 35 DM/$15. Mugs without a logo were going for 40+ DM, so I thought this was a good deal. The mug was packed in a box with a handle which did not prove to be very sturdy. Soon I had to carry it in my arms as I juggled my camera to take a photo of the beer wagon which had arrived outside. The matched team of horses was covered with decorations and I wondered if those kegs of beer were really full.
Löwenbräu hall
Löwenbräu beer wagon
Decorated horses
At the other end of the Midway, I saw the landmark statue of “Bavaria” (cast at the Munich foundry of J.B. Stiglmair between 1844 and 1850) in front of a plain Romanesque building.
Statue of Bavaria   
I walked through the milling crowds and managed not to get trampled by a stampede of youths in red and white. The Bavarian/Munich soccer team must be doing well. I saw a couple U.S. GIs, but half the people here were wearing red and white!
Returned to the Hofbräuhaus hall to buy another mug for 35 DM, this one the Official 1981 Oktoberfest mug. They also had the mugs for 1978-1980 and one fellow bought all four, but the ones without the tin lids at 15 DM/$6.50 each. The lady here was kind enough to give me a plastic bag for my broken-handled box, so that I could easily carry my two mugs.
I took the tram back to the train station and accidently got off a stop too soon because I couldn’t see through the mass of passengers. I walked the rest of the way to the station, keeping up with the tram in the heavy traffic. At the station I bought a drink and finally had change to use a restroom!
Boarded the 13:50 train to Zürich. Later the man sitting across from me asked if I spoke English. He should have just asked if I understood English, as he did all the talking. He had a sister in California, and was afraid in New York City, too expensive, he wished he could work any where in the world but he was only a teacher. His name was Valentin and he lived in Zürich. Two American Eurail Pass users joined us and he soon had Diane and Mary Jane involved in the conversation. Diane was a nurse and he wished he was a woman and a nurse; life would be so much easier (hah!). He talked about a homologous society, nuclear armament, the sights to see in Switzerland (not appropriate ones for Eurail Pass users!), and Swiss food. A guy named John from Georgia stopped in the compartment to say ‘hi’ to the girls whom he knew from Detroit. Valentin said John looked like some movie star, couldn’t recall the name, but starred in “Around the World in 80 Days,” and he also looked like some writer. He leaned on his jacket and accidently tore off a loop. Diane had just finished a sewing job on her tote strap, and offered to fix the loop. The conductor came through to say a mini-bar was coming through. Valentin eagerly looked forward to the “little restaurant” and wanted to get Diane something for fixing his jacket. They had bottles of beer. Diane and Mary Jane left to go play cards with John. A nun joined us in the compartment and Valentin kept talking. He said I looked younger than 26 and I was to guess his age. He didn’t say much after I said “50.” I thought I was underestimating, too! Another girl joined our compartment and was asked what she was reading: “The Women’s Room” in English. She was Swiss, but had lived in Australia for a couple years. Valentin wasn’t interested in talking to a Swiss girl.
Train day pass
The Detroit girls came back just before arrival at the Zürich airport where they got off. We arrived in Zürich on time at 19:00. Valentin was helping the nun, so I thought I was free. But when checking the schedule for Biel, I felt an arm around my shoulder. Valentin walked with me the length of the train and said he’d stop in Biel on Tuesday on his way to France for vacation, and we would have dinner. He then spotted his friends and shook my hand, then surprised me with a wet kiss on the cheek. Oh, no! And so this pudgy old man with a wool cap over his choppy grey hair, and a gypsy green felt vest over a dirty grey shirt over a large belly hurried to meet his two dark Eastern European looking friends who hadn’t noticed him yet. I hurried to my 19:14 train. The only seats I could find were in smoking, but there weren’t many smokers. Arrived in Biel at 21:00.

No comments:

Post a Comment