Saturday, April 30, 1983

Domodossola (4/30/1983)

Tuesday, April 26, 1983
It was such a nice warm day, that Marsha Cand I decided after dinner to go to the overlook in Ried to sit and read the newspaper or write letters. On the way I found a four-leaf clover.
We fed the sheep our pear cores. On the way home, we went behind Tagesheim/day boarding school to try their big red slide. It had dew on the lower end so it lost its slipperiness. We looked at the little house and the old boat, and as we were turning back, a lady walking her dog told us there was a bridge farther on. We found a “swinging” bridge, small logs laid across chains strung from three or four struts. We walked across, swinging and swaying and bouncing. We thought it would be great for our kids. Below the middle part of the bridge was a stagnant pond. We went down the hill on this side of Tagesheim, past the goose pen, and headed home.

Thursday, April 29, 1983
I rode home on the bus with Mathieu S. We had apple pie again with the lesson, but this time it was made with cream. To me it tasted cheesey.

Saturday, April 30, 1983
Stayed up until 2:00 doing my New York State amended tax forms. Slept in until 9:00, then went to the post office to make copies. After collating, I mailed off the tax forms. Went to the train station to catch the 10:34 train to Bern, changing to the 11:21 train to Brig. Arrived at 13:00 and took the 13:17 train to Domodossola. Again, it was sunny and fairly clear in Switzerland, but it was cloudy when we came out of the tunnel at Iselle. Through the tunnel to the Domodossola valley and it was miserable; rain! At customs, the Swiss guy asked everyone if they had anything to declare. The Italian official stuck his head in the compartment saying, “Italiani? Svizzeri?” but left before anyone answered. Arrived in Domodossola at 13:50 where I put up my umbrella and walked out and up the main street. There were stubs of trees with bright magenta pink blossoms, redbuds? In the back of the old town, there were booths selling all sorts of things, from fruits and vegetables, to clothing and shoes, pots and pans, and toys. A typical Italian market. I returned to the train station at 14:30 and debated whether to go on to Centovalle and Locarno, or head back to Biel for Ruth D’s birthday party. I figured I should really go to the party and caught the 15:05 train to Bern. This time the customs officials just peeked into the compartment through the glass. Back through the tunnels, and it was sunny in Brig. Got a quick bite at the McDonald’s in Bern, because all I had eaten was an apple in Domodossola. Caught the 18:53 train to Biel, where I saw Veronique, the Dutch P.T., but she went to the smoking car. In Biel, Veronique and I walked down Bahnhofstrasse together, before she went off up Nidaugasse. I checked the bus schedule at Zentralplatz, and had just missed the20:00 #54 bus that would take me to Ruth’s party. The next one at 21:00 would get me to the party at about 22:00, which was too late. I probably should have just gone anyway, because I wanted to get Ruth’s gift to her.  She had made creative invitations for the party.
Invitation front and back
Invitation inside

No comments:

Post a Comment