Sunday, May 1, 1983

Glarus and Näfels (5/1/1983)

Sunday, May 1, 1983
I caught the 8:23 train to Zürich, changing to the 10:04 train to Chur. I got off in Ziegelbrücke about 10:45 and went across the platform to the 11:00 train to Linthal. I got off about 11:30 in Glarus. There were big clouds n the sky and occasional raindrops, but the sun was out a lot too. Glarus was in a deep valley and the cliffs behind the train station were impressively tall! The train station itself was unique with stepped gables. Coming into Glarus, all the factories were apparent, making Glarus the only industrial mountain canton in Switzerland. The Bahnhofstrasse from the station was lined with market stalls. A typical Swiss market! Lots of pâtisserie stalls selling Bernerbrot/Bern bread. Also stalls selling (better quality) clothing, toys, doors, meats, French fries, etc. The market forked at Hauptstrasse, and I turned right. I passed some nice old buildings and Rathausplatz/City Hall Square. One booth was selling Glarus textiles that looked like the colorful multi-size striped patterns of the Southwest US or Mexico. I did not find the Landesgemeinde/Cantonal Assembly, so went the other direction on Hauptstrasse. I heard a loudspeaker, and headed right down Zaunstrasse toward the sound. Found myself in Zaunplatz which was crowded with people on angled platforms facing the center.
Landesgemeinde in Zaunplatz
Landesgemeinde in Zaunplatz
Zaunplatz
The speaker was explaining a law to be voted on, and asked for the ayes, then the nays. Apparently it was a close vote, because he asked several times, so there must have been someone counting the thousands of raised hands! Only those eligible to vote were allowed into the middle of the square. To one side was a platform for spectators that I climbed. I could see across the square to a building with a Swiss flag, the canton parliament. All around the square, people were watching the proceedings from the windows of the surrounding buildings. The speaker then went into detail about the next law on street regulations, and several people came up to offer their comments (should they salt the streets or not?, which roads should they salt, the cantonal or national?, what about pedestrian streets?). One speaker was introduced and the crowd kind of moaned. He was a red-faced farmer type who punched the air during his remarks. An official stood up to recite not only the kilometers of roads, but the square meters of roadway Finally they voted and the ayes clearly won. It had become very windy and balloons were taking off at a rapid rate. A contingent of soldiers with their helmets and guns stood at attention in one corner of the square. The Landesgemeinde, Switzerland’s government at work, where each citizen votes in the open by raising his hand, promised to last the whole day. I returned to the train station.
Market on Bahnhofstrasse
Caught the 12:45 train towards Ziegelbrücke and got off 10 minutes later in Näfels. It was now pouring rain. I walked into town, passing the neat Baroque church surrounded by a cemetery. The Freulerpalast was completely covered by scaffolding. The museum was closed, so I returned to the train station to wait for the 13:40 train to Ziegelbrücke. Changed to the 14:02 train to Zürich where I caught the 15:00 train to Bern. Arrived in Bern at 16:15, and there was no rain here. I went to Wendy’s for chili and a Frosty. While I was eating, a punk got up and apparently accidently bumped an Asian guy, making him spill his coffee. The Asian guy jumped up, hit the punk and stepped back in a boxing stance. The punk turned around, looking bewildered. He shook his head and went to speak to the manager. The manager came out to find out the problem. People at a nearby table though the Asian was over-reacting. The manager shrugged, what could he do. The punk patted the manager’s back and thanked him anyway. A couple minutes later, some guy walked in and asked the Asian to step outside. The Asian asked who he was and why should he go outside. The man only quietly repeated to step outside. The Asian yelled, “Lass mir in Ruhe/Leave me in peace!” The man slowly walked out. The Asian then took off his jacket, rolled up his sleeves, and waited for the next challenge. I went to catch the 17:08 local train towards Biel and got off in Brugg. following signs, I reached the Aare River. I followed that a short distance to a bridge, crossed the bridge into Aegerten. Ruth’s house was right there, but I noticed her car was gone. I planned to drop off her card and gift in her mailbox, but then Ruth and George drove up, followed by two couple in another car who had come from the Netherlands to attend her birthday party. I was invited in for a drink of grapefruit soda. The rest of them were very tired. I meant to leave at 18:30, but George insisted on driving me home. Two cigarettes later, he did.

No comments:

Post a Comment