Saturday, February 27, 1982

Shopping in München/Munich (2/27/1982)

Friday, February 26, 1982
After a morning exchange of phone calls between Jan and Christian, it was decided that I would meet Christian’s girlfriend, Elisabeth, under the “red” of the Inselspital/Island Hospital in Bern, to give me the key to his room for the night. He is a physical therapy student and goes home on weekends. I would use the room to get a head start on my shopping trip to München/Munich. After work I took the 18:52 train to Bern, arriving at 19:20. I was going to run to McDonald’s for something to eat, when someone grabbed my arm and said, “Come on, this way!” W-what? My jumbled thoughts in an instant were that I was being mistaken for someone else, or that it was one of these aggressive men. But because of the English I turned to look, and it was Christian. Apparently he forgot to give the key to his girlfriend and came to the station to intercept me. We went to the elevator to the parking garage, and it had problems to get going. We walked up a couple flights of stairs, but were on the wrong floor. We checked the next two levels down, but no car. Finally one more level down, on the ground floor, we found his orange Deux Chevaux/2-horsepower Citroën. He took me up to the Inselspital where under the red-painted steel beam structure that connected the children’s hospital to the main hospital, he showed me the route to follow to get to the train station, and then took me to the apartment building where his aunt has an apartment. On the top floor are several single rooms, and Christian and his friend, Daniel, share one. He showed me where I was on the map, just off Könizstrasse, gave me the key and left. Then he came back to tell me the toilet was at the end of the hall. The room was big enough for a bed, desk, and wardrobe, and had a small dormer window. The room was warm enough with a heating duct in the wall next to the bed. I set out a package of chocolates with a thank-you note for use of the room, repacked my backpack, and used the bathroom. The toilet didn’t have a flusher, but a valve to let in fresh water. Even though it was only 20:00, I went to bed after setting my alarm for 3:00.

Saturday, February 27, 1982
Up at 3:00, ate my tangerine breakfast, straightened the bedding, and left. The floor was carpeted, but real creaky, so I hope I didn’t disturb anybody. Walked the empty streets to the train station. Closer to downtown, a couple taxis and a moped were out. Followed Könizstrasse, then Effingerstrasse. Tried to take a left at one street but there were no sidewalks, so took the next left on Seilerstrasse to a right on Laupenstrasse, anf finally a left on Schwanzenstrasse to the train station. After 4:00, the train was already in the station with the heat turned on full blast. At 4:30 the heat turned off, but the lights came on. I read the “Schweiz, Suisse, Svizzera, Svizra, Switzerland” magazine that comes out monthly and is found on the trains like the airline magazines on planes. Only saw the postal carts zipping around the station and a few cleaning people. The train left at 4:44 for Zürich, arriving at 6:30. I boarded the 7:07 train for München/Munich.
Train ticket cover
Biel to München/Munich train ticket
The car was regular coach, and I had a pair of seats to myself the whole way. There were several very young men carrying satchels, probably students, who were speaking Italian, The pair across from me were retelling ancient Greek history in Italian, They got off at St Gallen. After St Margarethen, we crossed into Austria and passports were checked. Our only stop in Austria was Bregenz. In Lindau, Germany, a group of Japanese tourists boarded the train, as well as a young Asian man with hair as long as mine and a mustache. An older lady started talking to him and he responded in slow quiet German. She spoke in slow LOUD German. He was Vietnamese.
The landscape was picturesque with snow-covered evergreen forests. We arrived in Munich at 11:35 and I started my shopping trip. Went down Schützenstrasse to the underground shopping area of Stachus. Couldn’t find the steins I wanted. Came up in Karlsplatz among crowds and crowds of people. Went down pedestrian Neuhauser Strasse, checking out all the department stores, porcelain ware shops, looking for an Oktoberfest-like beer stein. I saw lottery stands, fruit stands, demonstrations of irons and pots, and stands selling burnt almonds and peanuts. Found a Woolworths that sold glass steins with Bayern metal lids; a pair for 15 DM/$6.50. In Kaufhall, a giant department store, I found a huge selection of steins. The large liter-mugs had the decals of all the major breweries, but none had the lids. I bought two coffee-mug size steins with Löwenbräu and Hofbräu emblems for 15 DM. Returning back up the pedestrian street, I stopped to listen to some street musicians. Saw a souvenir jewelry shop that had the Löwenbräu liter-stein with a lid! But since I had the others, I decided not to bother and went to McDonald’s for a fish sandwich, fries, and chocolate shake. But then I thought I’d buy that liter-stein anyway and returned to the gift shop. They didn’t have any of those steins inside the shop, and the girl went to check upstairs. She ended up opening the display in the window to sell me that one, for 41 DM/$18. The girl wrapped it as a gift. I had time to wander, and noticed that the stores closed at 14:00. I had done my shopping just in time! I never did see another liter-stein with a lid. I did see a lot of U.S. servicemen, tourists with cameras, and the evangelists were at their usual corner. Even found another McDonald’s beyond Marienplatz. Back at the underground Stachus shopping area, I saw a sign to the S-Bahn/tram and train station pointing down an escalator. Took the escalator to find myself in a filthy area with bums lying against the walls and drunks bumbling around. I figured that it was the S-Bahn that took you to the train station, not this passage. Went back up to the store level. Since the shops were closed, kids had taken over the area to rollerskate. Walked on street level to the train station, getting some roasted chestnuts along the way.
München/Munich to Biel train ticket
Boarded the 16:39 train to Zürich, where we arrived at 21:01. Changed to the 21:18 train to Biel, arriving at 23:00. To my surprise, Jan was there to pick me up, not wanting to be outdone by Christian! We drove around looking for people in costumes for Fastnacht/Mardi Gras, but there were only a couple of ghosts. A carnival was set up in the parking lot next to Migros. I stopped at Jan & Kirby’s place to show them my purchases. Didn’t go to bed until after midnight; it was a long day!

No comments:

Post a Comment