Saturday, July 11, 1981

Headed to Switzerland (7/8/1981)

Wednesday, July 8, 1981
Once again I am headed to Europe for a job! This time as a Bobath physiotherapist at the Kinderspital Wildermeth/Wildermeth Children's Hospital in Biel-Bienne, Switzerland. I have completed the NDTA Baby Course and have brushed up on the German I learned in high school.
I took a Capitol International Airways flight from J F Kennedy in NYC to Brussels, Belgium; the cheapest ticket available. Our flight was delayed 30 minutes, leaving at 21:30.
My seatmates were 77-year old Karl, on his very first plane trip, and his wife, Marge, who is as old as Karl's youngest daughter by his first wife!

Thursday, July 9, 1981
After arrival in Bruxelles/Brussel/Brussels (everything is in both French and Dutch here), I had some time to explore the city. Checked my two large suitcases, exchanged money into Belgian francs, and bought a map. Reminded me of my Eurail Pass tours, where that was the routine each day!
It must have been on the advice of my urban transportation father, to take the "premetro"/underground tram line from the North Station to Rogier, a line that opened in 1974.
Rogier premetro station
I had to transfer to another tram to continue to DeBrouckere where I transferred to the Metro/subway to Central Station. It was interesting that one had to open the subway doors; they did not automatically open.
Wandered through the Galerie de la Reine/Koninginnegalerij/Queen's Gallery, one corridor of the shopping arcade Galeries Royales Saint-Hubert/Koninklijke Sint-Hubertusgalerijen/St Hubert Galleries:
Galerie de la Reine
Ended up at the Grand Place/Grote Markt. Here are two of the several guild halls around the square:
Le Sac & La Brouette guild halls
Le Sac/Den Sack/The Sack was the guild of carpenters and coopers; built in 1645. La Brouette/Den Cruywagen/The Wheelbarrow was the guild of the grease makers; built in 1644. Both are considered to be in Italian-Flemish style.
The Maison des Ducs de Brabant/Huis der Hertogen van Brabant/House of the Dukes of Brabant (1696):
Maison des Ducs de Brabant
The steeple of the Maison du Roi/Broodhuis/House of the King (rebuilt in 1860 in neo-Gothic style):
Maison du Roi
Originally where the bakers sold bread, later an administrative building for the Duke under the King.
The steeple of the Hôtel de Ville/Stadhuis/Town Hall (completed in 1449 in Gothic style, restored 1840):
Hôtel de Ville
Returned through the other section of the arcade, the Galerie du Roi/Koningsgalerij/King's Gallery. Later I was to hear kids chanting in the galeries for the echo effect. Uneven cobblestones on the way to Central Station threatened to turn my ankles. Heard the song "Lucille" by Kenny Rogers. Passed a fountain where kids were splashing and one fell right in. I saw lots of GQ men, but was harassed only by "Moroccans."
After a break at Central Station, I wanted to visit the Mannekin Pis, but was surprised to see it was pouring rain. At least that cooled the temperature. I was going to take a subway, but the passage was flooded with backed up sewage. P-U!
Returned to the North Station to retrieve my bags and wait for the train to Basel, Switzerland. Because of my two large heavy bags, I took the first seat I could find; not caring if it happened to be First Class. (NB Remember that these were the old suitcases with only one handle on the long side! No rolling wheels!) Fortunately it was 2nd Class, but unfortunately it was a smoking compartment. Fortunately, only two of the passengers smoked, and only one cigarette each. The train left a half hour late at about 23:20.

Friday, July 10, 1981
We were due in Basel at 5:47, but arrived at 6:45. (We were either late, or the schedule did not account for Daylight Savings Time in Switzerland! This year it appears Switzerland is on the same time as the rest of Europe.)
Because I was entering Switzerland with a work permit, I had to check my bags and find the health exam location down a tiny side street. I was buzzed through a door at about 7:00 and soon had a chest x-ray for a 10 Swiss Franc (CHF)/$5 fee. I was told to return at 10:00 for my passport. I had time to walk to the zoo and back.
The train left Basel at 11:28 on the dot, and I arrived in Biel-Bienne about 1-1/2 hours later. I checked my baggage (thank goodness!) at the Biel train station and decided to walk the 2 km/1.2 miles to the Kinderspital. It was a winding uphill walk!
Once at the hospital, I met the director, Herr S, who called the housekeeper, Frau L. A loiterer at the desk turned out to be Hetty D, a fellow physiotherapist. She offered to go with me later in the evening to pick up my luggage. Frau L showed me to my room in the Personalhaus/Personnel or staff residence. I fell asleep and was awakened by the phone in the kitchenette across the hall. It was for me! Hetty had her car, and we drove to the train station to get my bags. We stopped in a tearoom in the old town for coffee/tea, and were given a complimentary slice of layered cream cake!
Time to unpack and write postcards and letters.

No comments:

Post a Comment