Monday, August 15, 1983

Parents' Visit: Lausanne and Genève (8/15/1983)

Monday, August 15, 1983
I woke up at 6:30, having gone to the bathroom to check my watch. Mom followed me in using the bathroom. The alarm didn’t go off, and we discovered Dad had set the time back an hour earlier, so it said 5:30. It was funny, because Mom had asked last night if the time was set correctly, because it had been several hours off. Maybe it just slowed an hour?
Hotel in Chamonix
I went to pay the hotel bill and the girl had included 15 FRF/$2 each breakfast which we weren’t eating. She subtracted that amount and I paid the 240 FRF/$31. We left about 7:45 to go to the train station. Dad bought 12 FRF/$1.50 worth of postcards, and Mom and I bought breakfast at the Rosticerie; three grape juices, three croissants with smoked ham for 30 FRF/$4. I bought train tickets, one for me all the way to Martigny for 54 FRF/$7, and two up to the border for 14 FRF/$1.80 each.
Chamonix to Martigny train ticket cover
Chamonix to Martigny train ticket
The Alps from Chamonix
We then waited for the little third-rail powered train which left at 8:20 for Vallorcine. We left the great views of Chamonix and climbed the valley to Argentiere. There you could see the foot of the world’s longest glacier.
Glacier at Argnetiere (GJT)
About a half hour later we arrived in Vallorcine near the border to change to the Swiss train. While thinking of borders and needing to show your passport, I remembered that mine was still at the Touring Hotel reception! Oh, no! I tried to send Mom & Dad on with their planed trip through Centovalli, but they insisted on waiting for me. I ran to buy a round trip ticket to Chamonix for 24 FRF/$3 and I hopped on the train. The Swiss train had arrived and a group of old folks joined me. Then I read the ticket had to be validated by machine. I hadn’t noticed any machines, but thought I‘d better look. I asked the conductor if I had time to get my ticket validated, and I did.
Vallorcine to Chamonix train ticket
After  running back to board the train, the old folks said they thought I had left because of them, and they were happy to see me back! I was just all-around flustered. Back in Chamonix, the view had clouded over. I ran back to the hotel and seemed to wait a long time until the receptionist was finished with other business. I finally got my passport back. I thought about going to a grocery store, but there were long lines at the cash registers. So I returned to the station to catch the 9:50 train to Vallorcine; I was now an hour and a half behind schedule.
Chamonix to Vallorcine train ticket
Arrived at 10:20, and this train was going right to the Swiss border town of Le Châtelard-Frontière. So Mom and Dad boarded and we continued to the end, getting off where right on the platform the customs officials checked our passports.
We boarded the train in a car for Martigny, which took us into a high gorge. We were on the wrong side of the train, nevertheless we had glimpses down into the steep and hazy gorge. The train hooked onto a rack and wound steeply down to the Martigny valley.
Heading into the valley (GJT)
Mont Blanc Express entering a tunnel (GJT)
Martigny valley
Cemetery
Looking ahead of the train, at one point it looked like a roller coaster hill that disappeared out of sight! Once down in the valley, we switched back to catenary from third rail and zoomed to Martigny. There we changed to the 12:31 train to Lausanne, arriving an hour later after passing Aigle with all its little railroads and the Château Chillon. You could see the opposite shore of Lac Leman, but not any snow-covered Alps. In Lausanne we put the luggage in a locker, and walked across the street to McDonald’s for Big Macs and drinks.
Trolleybus at the Lausanne train station
We then took the Mêtro to Centre Ville for the half-price fare of 30 centimes/15 cents.
La Gare to Centre Ville Mêtro ticket
From there we took the elevator up to Grand Pont, walked across and back down.
Grand Pont (GJT)
There is only one Mêtro tram that goes from Centre Ville to La Gare and the driver sits sideways. We went down to the end at Ouchy, paying the half-price of 50 centimes/25 cents.
Centre Ville to Ouchy Mêtro ticket
We took a look at the lakefront, then headed back up on the Mêtro to the train station, again for 50 centimes/25 cents, but buying the tickets from a vending machine.
Ouchy Mêtro station (GJT)
Yuriko and Tamiko buy tickets (GJT)
Ouchy to La Gare Mêtro ticket
Mêtro train
At the train station, we bought a map, then retrieved our luggage and ran to catch the 14:49 train to Genève/Geneva. Now I was using a day pass with a class change card, and Mom and Dad had their Swiss Rail Holiday Card passes.
As we neared the city, Dad and I saw the Jet d’Eau in action. It was turned off by the time we arrived. After arriving, we put the luggage in a locker and went to the underground shopping center. Mom went to the restroom while Dad checked out the bus center. We came up on Rue Mont Blanc, passing the McDonald’s with an outdoor café and all the watch stores. We could not see Mont Blanc, but did see a steam ship.

Floral clock (GJT)
We crossed the bridge to see the floral clock, then went under the bridge along the river to Place du Molard and down the main shopping street.

Place du Molard
We walked over to l’Île to see its clock tower, a former defense tower.
La Tour de L'Ile clock (GJT)
Next to Place de Neuve and into the Promenade des Bastions. The wrought-iron gates were gone, for restoration. We saw the Reformation Monument and then walked up the “ancient” ramparts into the old town to pass the city hall, the arsenal gallery with mosaics and cannons, and around St Pierre Cathedral. We were able to enter the cathedral to see the austere interior with Calvin’s pulpit and pew. We left to walk down the pedestrian shopping street and crossed the pedestrian bridge past Rousseau’s island. We had drinks at Wendy’s, then returned to the train station where I asked for a “pla(n)” at the transit booth, and was given a “plo(n)”! We retrieved our luggage and boarded the 18:26 train to Biel, arriving about 21:00. We went to the Club Hotel where Dad signed in again, and they were given the same room! We went to the restaurant for dinner, where I spoke German to the waiter, but his language was definitely French! I just had cream of asparagus soup. Mom tried the croûte de fromage with ham and an egg, and Dad had the Geschnetzeltes with Rösti. With drinks, the bill came to 35 CHF/$17. We went up to the room where Mom had more things to give me. Once back at the Personalhaus/staff residence, I called them at the hotel to let them know what time we were leaving tomorrow, since I had all the itinerary cards! I unpacked, then repacked.

No comments:

Post a Comment