Sunday, July 31, 1983

Travel Plans and the "Beach" (7/27-31/1983)

Wednesday, July 27, 1983
Went downtown to book a room at the Club Hotel for my parents. The lady let me go up to compare the 95 and 110 CHF/$47 and $55 rooms. The 95 CHF room was adequate and had a shower. I went to the travel agency to book my flight to India. Am I booked or on a waiting list?

Thursday, July 28, 1983
Today I was working with a kid in Elisabeth J’s room, so I was near a phone, and got a call from Mommy to straighten out the hotel business.

Friday, July 29, 1983
After work, Marsha C and I went to the travel agency to find out how the weather is in Greece during the off-season. Oh, very unreliable, cold and rainy! So we decided to book a week-long vacation on a Greek island instead, on Rhodes for the first or second week in September. Marsha asked about flights to the U.S. and was given some pamphlets but not much help. I asked about hotels and the guy called Zermatt’s tourist bureau to find a hotel near the train station, then made a reservation after he looked up the hotel’s number. Then he tried St Moritz, but got no answer. He gave me the hotel directory so that I could call later. I went to the PTT/Post Telephon & Telegraph to call Capitol Air, but the number was out of service. I called the hotel in Milano; closed in August. Then St Moritz, and was able to reserve a hotel there. Later, I put on my therapy bathing suit and Marsha and I drove along the south side of the Bielersee/Lake Biel to the “beach” at Möringen. The usual grassy area with rocks at the water’s edge. We had to pay for parking at a meter in a hut. We walked out along the breakwater and I sat on the rocks with my feet in the water as Marsha swam. We stayed a couple hours, then went back to Biel to eat at McDonald’s. I was going to have just a shake, but ended up with a hamburger and fries.

Saturday, July 30, 1983
Marsha C was busy with moving today. She will have a room in Ruth D's apartment.
I went to lie out in the sun, and it was so hot I could barely stand it, despite strong breezes! I drank a liter of grapefruit juice and didn’t last two hours. I ran in to take a cold shower, bathing suit and all! I tried lying out for two hours in the afternoon, coming in twice to take cold showers and drink a lot. The sun didn’t seem to have any effect at all.
When I got ready to meet Helen S, I suddenly turned red! I walked down to the Bielersee/Lake Biel sandbar to meet Helen at 16:00. She had coupons to get us into the “beach.” Helen went swimming as I sat on some steps in the water. We talked about work and work philosophies, and a holistic approach to dealing with those with handicaps, etc. At about 19:00 we remembered to eat. Helen had brought potato salad, prosciutto and salami, tomatoes, and tea. Later we had quark/farmer’s cheese, and I had the smooth banana flavor. I had seen Sylvia W and Kathi from Roentgen/x-ray, and Helen saw several neighbors. I got home about 21:00 and went right to bed!

Sunday, July 31, 1983
Slept through until 6:30, but still felt exhausted.
I went to put my laundry in at 9:45. Walked to Jan & Kirby’s to leave a note. When I got back, Marsha C called to say she would pick me up to go to the beach. I went to check the laundry, and the filter was loose and water had poured out all over the floor, and the clothes weren’t washed.  I pulled out my laundry and cleaned up, then left with Marsha to go to Möringen. It was more crowded today, and we had to park in a nearby field (no cost!). We ended up staying from about 11:15 to 16:00! It was very hot in the sun, cool in the shade, and freezing in the water, although we still went in several times. We also drank lots.
Back at the Personalhaus/staff residence, I did the laundry for real this time. Later I made chocolate chip cookies. It sure takes a long time to crack the walnuts yourself to get chopped walnuts!

No comments:

Post a Comment