Tuesday, July 26, 1983

This is Gross (7/18-26/1983)

Monday, July 18, 1983
I awoke with diarrhea, but thought I was nervous about treating Mathieu S. So I went ahead to Stern am Ried to treat Nadia S. I felt really awful, so after a half hour I put Nadia back in bed and hurriedly left. Back in my room, I was wretching, and had diarrhea again. I called to cancel Mathieu. All morning I felt worse and worse, and kept having hourly bouts of diarrhea. I called Elizabeth J to tell her to call the Ss about swimming, and she volunteered to cancel the rest of my patients that day. I only drank water, and that night I didn’t sleep at all.
I also had my funny swollen eyelid today!

Tuesday, July 19, 1983
I wrote in the journal from 3:00-5:00! I was still having diarrhea, and got nauseous brushing my teeth. I had Marsha C cancel my one outpatient. She also took books back to the library for me and mailed off film. She bought me more iced tea and mineral water. I tried eating rice for supper.
Today Marsha had gone to Ruth D’s garage to look at used cars. She ended up getting a green Datsun 120X for 3,900 CHF/$1,950, and put down a deposit!

Wednesday, July 20, 1983
I was still having bouts of diarrhea, but went to work.

Thursday, July 21, 1983
I was still having diarrhea, and cancelled my morning patients. I went to see the doctor in the hospital, Dr. G, Vre the O.T.’s boyfriend. He checked my stomach, heart, lungs, and throat, and said I had an intestinal flu. I was to take it easy and was given a prescription for something to bind me. He recommended that I drink tea and Coca-Cola. I called Marsha to get me a bottle of Coca Cola, and she was with Fr Dr Jo D who recommended Lomotil, an anti-diarrheal. I was running out of diarrhea, since I hadn’t really eaten anything, but took a dose at 12:00. I was only drinking Coca Cola. I was able to work all afternoon, and didn’t take the 17:00 dose of Lomotil.

Friday, July 22, 1983
I awoke feeling pretty good, only gas pains. But with all this tea and Coca-Cola, it's hard to fall asleep because of the caffeine.
I had already canceled Mathieu S last night, so only had CP Station kids all day. I had rice at lunch and a bowl of tomato soup for dinner.
Today Marsha C picked up her “new” green Datsun. After dinner we went for a drive to get gas. Marsha was just learning the standard shift and she was doing pretty well with only occasional jerking starts and stalls. We ended up in Studen and Marsha headed to Aegerten to stop at Ruth D’s to say hello. Well, we ended up staying to watch Ruth’s room being rearranged by Urs who was wearing only bathing trunks! While Marsha was distracted by Urs, I somehow got in a long conversation with Ruth about work. When we were done, Marsha wasn’t ready to leave. I ended up rushing to Ruth’s bathroom and had diarrhea. I stood to pull up my pants, then lowered them again for another bout! Argh! When we finally left, I wasn’t sure I’d make it back home. First Ruth’s door was locked and Marsha had to run back up to get someone with a key. Then we must have hit every red light along the way. I just made it back in time for another attack. I took another Lomotil, but spent all night on the toilet.

Saturday, July 23, 1983
I was okay all morning, although I had nothing to eat. At 12:00, Marsha drove us downtown to park near Jelmoli department store. I had enough energy to do quite a bit of shopping.
Back at the Personalhaus/staff residence, Marsha waxed her car and I sat outside in the shade. I was a little light-headed at 17:00, and tried eating soup and a roll.
Received some good news this week: my parents will come during the first three weeks of August, and the Liens are ready for me to go to India in November.

Monday, July 25, 1983
Semi-normal digestion this weekend. Went to work and did aerobics.

Tuesday, July 26, 1983
Diarrhea again! But I feel fine otherwise.
Initially I thought this could be from eating so much on the trip to Italy, but then I began to think I picked up a bug.

No comments:

Post a Comment