Saturday, March 19, 1983

Champéry. Aigle, and Grandson (3/19/1983)

Saturday, March 19, 1983
Train day pass
Caught the 8:33 train to Lausanne, and changed to the 9:50 train headed for Sion. I got off at Aigle and took the 10:27 Aigle-Ollon-Monthey-Champéry (AOMC) narrow-gauge train that curved out to the east side of the valley to the town of Ollon with its old buildings on a hilltop. We went around a hill in the middle of the valley and crossed over the regular train tracks, the river Rhône, and then another pair of train tracks. Headed south into the large town of Monthey and then began climbing a rack. Followed a tumbling stream up the Iliez valley with its scattered chalets, arriving in Champéry about 11:30.

Champéry AOMC train
I started walking down the main street lined with very old chalets; sort of shabby but nevertheless with character. The old gray wooden chalets had little balconies with unsteady-looking wooden railings and were carved.
A main street
One chalet had a hanging stained glass lamp, and several had large pots suspended from an overhanging eave. Passed a small chapel with the usual dunce-capped tower. Later came to another church with a large stone bell tower off to one side. The tower was topped by what was called a stone crown, which looked like stone rafters of a dome.
Saint-Théodule Church belfry
Below the church was a cemetery where each plot was surrounded by stone.
Old chalet façade
There was no snow in Champéry, just some patches on he surrounding hillsides. I walked to the other side of town to see the téléphérique/aerial cable car that was not in operation (only ski season?) but had colorful little gondolas.
Téléphérique Champéry Planachaux/TCP gondola cars
View onto towm
There was a farmhouse with a wooden shed with firewood neatly stacked completely covering one entire side. The rooftops of such buildings appear to be made of rough wooden shingles, with the very top held down by large rocks.
Firewood stack
I walked back to the train station, seeing a vine spiraling up on a house.
Spiraled vine
Caught the 12:40 train back to Aigle. I noticed a new chalet with a shed made from a giant wine barrel that had a door cut into one end and a roof was placed on top. I walked through Aigle as it began to sprinkle rain. I passed the Église Saint-Maurice/Church of St Maurice with a central clock tower that chimed 14:00.
Église Saint-Maurice

Beyond the church was a small section of well-maintained old houses along a narrow cobblestoned street that went under an arch and wound uphill. I reached the Château d'Aigle/Aigle Castle that was surrounded by a high wall and pointed towers.
Château Aigle
The land all around was mostly vineyards, with the vines burned to stumps. Inside the wall was a stepped wall, and I peeked through that at the timbered buildings.
Château doorway
View of Aigle Leysin train on hillside
I wasn’t interested in the vine & wine museum in the castle, so returned to the train station. Along the way I heard a chugging and up on the mountain behind the town I could see the narrow-gauge train inching down. Higher up were large white letters spelling out Aigle-Leysin, the name of this railroad. I took the 14:31 train to Lausanne, changed to the 15:10 train towards Biel, I got off at Yverdon at 15:30, and the next train to Grandson wasn’t until 16:38! I decided to walk to Grandson, not even knowing how far it was. I followed the railroad and signs. Forty-five minutes and several car honks later, I was in the town known for making cigars. I continued walking through town to the Château de Grandson set up on high walls.
Château de Grandson
A large sign announced it was closed and I later heard that new owners have taken over. I went to a public toilet instead. I was looking for a handle to flush the toilet and couldn’t find one. I waved my hands all around, and it flushed by itself! I walked up Rue Haute to the interesting “Swiss-Roman” Église St-Jean-Baptiste/Church of John the Baptist that seemed very old.
Église St-Jean-Baptiste
Inside it was easy to see the barrel vault and there were carved stone capitals on many of the columns. Some of the arches between the columns were painted. The chancel was more Gothic and had stained glass windows. There was a fresco to the right side that I couldn’t see too well. I took an alley down to the main road to go to the train station. I just missed the 16:43 local to Biel, so waited for the 17:07 to Yverdon. When the train arrived, three of us tried to board one car, but the conductor told us the car was fully reserved. So we headed forward along the train when the conductor ran to get us and usher us onto the so-called reserved car. There were plenty of free seats. The next car ahead was first class anyway. Five minutes later we were in Yverdon, and I changed to the 17:35 train to Biel, arriving at 18:20. Marsha was there at the Personalhaus/staff residence, and she was waiting for Ruth D’s friend Urs to visit her. When he arrived, I was invited to meet him, or I guess visit for a few minutes since we had done the Basler Morgestraich together. Later at 20:30, Jong-soon came to my room to sit and commiserate; she was sick. She stayed until midnight!

No comments:

Post a Comment