Saturday, December 18, 1982

Christmas in Biel (12/13-18/1982)

Monday, December 13, 1982
At 19:00, I went to Marsha C’s room where Jong-Soon, Sybille B, and Elisabeth J were gathered to get ready for the staff Christmas dinner at the hospital. They admired our loot from Nürnberg. At 19:30 we went to the staff restaurant where most of the CP station people were at one table. But there were no more chairs, so Elisabeth, Marsha and I sat at another table and saved three seats for Jan & Kirby, and Helen. Raclette was the main attraction, but there were only three cheese melters, so getting a dish was slow. Elisabeth and I took everyone’s plates for the first course, and Marsha and Kirby got us seconds. By then people had gone home to get their raclette “ovens,” and we were being served faster. Elisabeth and I had thirds. Samichlaus/Santy Claus came in dragging an Esel (a real donkey!), and his assistant Schmützeli/Dirtie, the chimney sweep, was really blackened.  They gave out gifts of appreciation, with a little teasing, to the main hospital administrators. The Wildermeth Choir, including our CP station representatives Marsha and Sybille, got up to sing four songs.
Choir program
There was a contest to identify staff baby pictures. Fr Dr Jo D sang a few numbers in her operatic voice. I left to show Jan & Kirby our Nürnberg purchases, so missed the skits. I came back in time for singing Christmas carols.
Christmas song lyrics

Christmas song lyrics
Many people had left, so Marsha and I went to sit with the remnants of the CP station staff. I left at midnight.

Tuesday, December 14, 1982
This was Biel’s Samichlaus day. I went downtown at lunch to get a gingerbread house and back at the Personalhaus/staff residence, I put it under a shoe filled with a tangerine, walnuts, chocolate, and a Santa Claus Lebkuchen, and left it for Marsha C. Later Marsha readied shoes for Sybille B (chopsticks and a magazine) and Jong-Soon (a Playgirl magazine!). And for me! I received a Nürnberg Lebkuchen wreath, ramen noodles, Trident gum, macaroons, and the most beautiful pair of leg warmers!

Thursday, December 16, 1982
Marsha C and I left work at 17:30 and walked through Biel’s dwindling Christmas market with stalls of candles, pottery, knitted items, etc. We went to the post office and then the train station. Saw Sybille B in the ticket line, and got to meet her cute boyfriend. We caught the 18:34 train to Bern, arriving at 19:05. We headed first to Heimatwerk/local crafts shop where I bought a pair of wooden cheeseboards to use as trivets for 23.50 CHF/$12 each for my mom, a painted wooden button at 20 CHF/$10 for Grandma, and a wooden card box at 22 CHF/$11 for Grandma. At the Wohnshop I bought a scarf for myself and a wax candle ice cream sundae cup for the Sutters. We went to EPA-UNIP and ABM to get candles and ribbon, and by 21:00 were headed to Wendy’s for dinner. There were a lot of street entertainers and Salvation Army volunteers ringing their bells. Took the 21:53 train to Biel.

Friday, December 17, 1982
Shortly before 17:00, I went out with the Kindergarten kids and was loaded onto the school bus, getting the front seat to myself. It was pouring rain and dark as we drove through Biel to let off Anne, then Sonia in Nidau, and next Mathieu in Büren an der Aare. That’s where I got off, and we were met by Brigitte S. I was left to watch TV until Mathieu was found pouring oil all over the kitchen floor. I cleaned the floor while Brigitte bathed Mathieu. Then Brigitte drove to the train station to pick up Hans-Rüdi while I played with Mathieu in the tub. The boys were given steamed broccoli and potatoes for dinner and put to bed. After 20:00, Hans-Rüdi prepared fondue which was very good. We ate the fondue with Barbara by candlelight. Afterwards I made a few s’mores to have as dessert with tea. We sat in the living room talking until nearly 23:00. I was taken to see their newly finished downstairs room. I also got to see the amusing party invitation to a Belgian dinner, with an Asterix theme, where it was suggested everyone wear togas! Hans-Rüdi drove me home.

Saturday, December 18, 1982
Did my laundry and delivered the S's invitation to Jan & Kirby. At 9:30 Marsha C and I went shopping, then took the bus back by 11:30. Left again at 12:00 to walk through the market, browse at the Merkur high fashion store, and stop at the Hilfiker Pharmacy near the train station. I had a winning ticket and got a sample bottle of Magie Noir eau de toilette by Lancôme. I put in a number for a drawing for a Fiat car. 
Train day pass
We took the 13:23 train to Olten, changing to the 14:32 train to Luzern. It has started snowing. We had wanted to get off at Sursee, but the train was an Intercity and didn’t stop until Luzern. Since it was already dark at 15:15, we decided not to try to get to Sursee, but wander in Luzern. Admired the Jesuitkirche/Jesuit Church and went into the old town. Browsed the Christmas market set up in the two central squares. Walked along the pedestrian shopping street and returned to the train station. I used the restroom for 50 Rappen/centimes/25 cents and Marsha bought roasted chestnuts. We took the 16:37 train to Olten, changing to the 17:42 train to Biel. There was snow sticking to the ground in Grenchen. Near Biel it was only on the bushes and trees. We walked under trees that looked like they had been spray painted with snow, to return to the Personalhaus/staff residence.

No comments:

Post a Comment