Thursday, December 2, 1982

Celebrating Thanksgiving (11/28/1982)

Sunday, November 28, 1982
Since we worked on Thanksgiving, today was our day for our Thanksgiving meal. Long beforehand, Kirby said he didn’t feel like cooking for Thanksgiving this year, so Marsha C volunteered to cook. Last week I talked to Jan to set a date for our Thanksgiving meal, but she said they had so many social obligations including at least one other Thanksgiving meal, that she did not want to eat another turkey. Last Friday night at 21:30, Jan called to see if we wanted a small pumpkin pie, so I ran over to their house to pick it up. It was still warm!
So today we had roasted turkey with lots of stuffing. We made mashed potatoes with lots of gravy, and peas and corn. We only had a small knife to carve the turkey.
Marsha stuffing the turkey
Small carving knife
Stuffed ourselves, and still had pumpkin pie for dessert, as well as a Progin truffe du jour that Marsha bought this morning.

Wednesday, December 1, 1982
After work Marsha C and I went to the train station to order our tickets for Nürnberg, Germany, but the office was already closed. We then went to up to the tracks at 19:00 to meet the train from Basel on which Joan Mohr was to arrive. The train came in and Marsha recognized her right away. We walked with Joan over to Mühlebrücke and down Kanalgasse to the tiny Café la Creperie. Joan and Marsha had whole wheat crepes with ham and mushrooms and Perrier. I had a spinach crepe and tea. For dessert Joan had a crepe with pears and chocolate sauce, I had a banana with chocolate sauce and chopped nuts. Marsha had vermicelli marroni/chestnut paste and a cappuccino. We then caught the bus to the Personalhaus/staff residence. Joan Mohr had taught both Jan and Marsha’s NeuroDevelopmental Treatment (NDT) courses, and was a presenter at my course. She was to spend the day consulting with us on our kids.

Thursday, December 2, 1982
It seems all this week Kirby either ignored me, or made sarcastic comments, and I didn’t know why. I was feeling depressed anyway (homesick?) and cried for hours. Then Marsha came to me crying, as Kirby was doing the same to her. We cried on each other’s shoulder. Then today Kirby called me and asked why I was ignoring him! What?! He was upset because we didn’t invite him for Thanksgiving, and we were ignoring him all week! Gosh, what mis-communication! Lesson learned: make sure both Jan and Kirby are consulted when making plans!
I needed some alone time, and saw a notice about a concert in the Stadtkirche/City Church. I left after work and was a little late but walked in with three other girls. I saw several people from the hospital there, as it was an outing as part of the medical association’s winter meeting.
Medical Association agenda pages 1 and 4
Medical Association agenda pages 2 and 3
The concert was a recital by Katharina Beidler, a soprano, and Hermann Engel, an organist. I missed the first number, but heard the four pieces for soprano and organ. It ended with Johann Sebastian Bach’s Toccata and Fugue in D minor for organ, a scary-movie sounding piece! The inside of the church is Gothic, with clean and simple designs painted on the ceilings and walls.
A few of my kids had diarrhea again today, and then it hit me at night. I never used to catch anything from my patients, but now it’s happened twice in a couple months. My resistance (both physically and emotionally) must be down!

No comments:

Post a Comment