Tuesday, June 15, 1982

Sunning, Clovers, Greek Food, and a Movie (5/31-6/15/1982)

Monday, May 31, 1982
Pfingstmontag/Pentecost Monday/Whit Monday, a holiday.
I went to the lakefront, passing rhododendron bushes Kirby had pointed out a week ago. I chose a spot at the edge of a grassy bowl beyond the boat rental place and started working on my tan at 11:00. Three Italians and their Swiss girlfriends were next to me and they sometimes played badminton or nerfball tennis over me! I turned over at 12:00 and was getting hot at 14:00. Sat up until 15:00. I was hot and thirsty, and the warm water in my water bottle wasn’t helping. I filled up with cooler water at the Schützengasse fountain on my way home. Halfway up the short-cut stairs, I had to stop and sit for a rest. At the top of the stairs I had to sit again because I felt faint. I sat right on the sidewalk and felt better, so started up the hill. The world got hazy, so I sat down again. Every time I tried to stand up, I felt faint, yet when I was sitting my head was perfectly clear. I stayed sitting for 10-15 minutes before trying again and managed to reach the hospital before needing to sit on a bench at the entrance. After 5-10 minutes I managed the final climb to the Personalhaus/staff residence and my room. Drank lots of water and laid down. I was able to take a shower, but was a little woozy after that.

Wednesday, June 2, 1982
Still finding 4-leaf clovers.
Three 4-leaf clovers

Friday, June 4, 1982
Today I renewed my work permit and visa. Since I have approval to take a two-month leave of absence, I will work at Kinderspital Wildermeth for one more year.
After work I heard my name being called and looked out to see Jan & Kirby. They hadn’t left for home yet, and since I was ready to go, I drove with them. Later we went to pick up Helen on the dot at 19:00 and headed to the halfway house Restaurant Schlüssel in Detligen. It is on the first Friday of the month when they serve Greek food, instead of pizza. Elisabeth and Michel met us there, where we sat at picnic tables and benches in the room with the inactive pizza oven and the oil lamps overhead. They were grilling souvlakis/skewers outside the back door. I had 1-1/2 lamb souvlakis, a Greek salad (lettuce, pepper, tomato, cucumber, and feta cheese in an oil dressing), corn on the cob, and half a baked eggplant (baked until mushy); also some tzatziki (cucumbers in a yogurt sauce). That was plenty for me, but the fellows kept ordering more souvlakis. I passed on the dessert of half a melon with a cognac whipped cream in the center. The waitress had us try Greek coffee that was thick and strong, and amazingly sweet. We headed home at 22:30 in a terrifying thunderstorm of pouring rain with lightning blinding us and the crackling thunder heard within milliseconds.

Saturday, June 5, 1982
Train day pass
Took the 9:34 train to Bern, mostly to purchase the panorama poster of Grindelwald-First. The print shop where this poster is available is only open on Saturday mornings. Took the 12:27 train to Interlaken West, and started browsing all the souvenir shops, looking for a cuckoo clock for Lynn B G, who wanted one for her in-laws for their anniversary. I reached the Interlaken Ost/East station and found I would reach Luzern after shopping hours. So I returned to Interlaken West and found a cuckoo clock near there. The store shipped to the U.S. and I could have Lynn pay the credit card bill. Shopping like this is fun, no money needed and no packages to carry!
Caught the 15:39 train to Bern and went to the telephone exchange to call Eileen Richter of Professional Development Programs in the U.S. I was able to confirm that the Milani-Comparetti Seminar to be held in Florence, Italy had not been cancelled. The phone bill was 18.10 CHF/$9. Took the 16:53 train to Biel. The rain stopped as soon as I reached home!

Sunday, June 6, 1982
Jan came by at 16:00 so we could check the train schedules I had picked up in Bern. Kirby wasn’t feeling great today, so just Jan and I went for a hike by first driving to the lakefront and parking near the boating school. We climbed some stairs up a cliff, which brought us to a vineyard path. We meandered through vineyards, woods of evergreens, and past homes with flowerful gardens. We had a fine view of Bielersee/Lake Biel with heavy boat traffic. We continued for about an hour until we reached Tüscherz, then turned around. It was hot, but cooler back down at “sea” level.
Found a 5-leaf clover.
Back at the Personalhaus/staff residence by 19:00.
5-leaf clover and 4-leaf clover
Monday, June 7, 1982
Another 4-leafer.

Tuesday, June 8, 1982
Three more 4-leaf clovers found during group therapy!
Three more 4-leafers

Saturday, June 12, 1982
Took the 10:33 train to Geneva and on the train I started reading the “Chancellor Manuscript” loaned by Jan & Kirby. I was in Geneva before I knew it! Arrived at 12:30 and went to bookstores to find books in English for my lessons with the Ss. Also shopped for items for my summer traveling. Returned to Biel on the 16:26 train. I was so absorbed in the book, I almost missed my stop!

Tuesday, June 15, 1982
Movie ticket
After work Jan and Kirby and I went to see the movie “Chariots of Fire,” as today was its last day. Due to poor reviews from our acquaintances, we weren’t expecting much, but we were pleasantly surprised! Really liked it a lot and such inspiring music!

No comments:

Post a Comment