Saturday, June 26, 1982

Clovers, Shopping, Movie, and Dinners (6/18-26/1982)

Friday, June 18, 1982
Found a funny 5-leaf clover.
Funny 5-leaf clover
Today I went to the bank to take out all my money and change it to seven different currencies!
Jong-Soon came for her weekly English lesson.

Saturday, June 19, 1982
I went downtown to buy my train tickets for Florence and London. I tried to get a seat reservation for the train to London, but I can’t do that in Switzerland. I did some book shopping, and noticed an unshaven man was following me down Bahnhofstrasse. I stopped, he would stop. I went into a grocery store and he followed me in, but I turned right around and left and he looked surprised. I hurried to the train station to lose myself in the crowd. Caught the 12:23 train to Zürich, arriving at 13:50. I did more book shopping and bought some Sprüngli truffles as a hospitality gift. I was to try and meet an acquaintance of Kathy C in Zug. Took the 15:00 train to Zug, arriving at 15:25, and tried calling this guy, Lewis M. No answer. I bought a Kirschtorte for Jan & Kirby and did more book shopping. Tried calling again at 16:15, still no answer. Well, I made the attempt in the time frame requested, but no luck. So I caught the 16:24 train to Zürich, changing to the 17:04 to Biel.

Sunday, June 20, 1982
Trying to wrap things up before my two-month leave of absence. Went to sit in the sun while doing paperwork.
Found a 4-leaf clover.
4-leeaf clover

Monday, June 21, 1982
Stir-fry of beef and zucchini with Jong-Soon and Christel with a conversation about Jesus and men.

Tuesday, June 22, 1982
Met Kirby after work to see the movie “Absence Without Malice.”
Movie ticket
Afterwards we had pizza and salad at Pinocchio’s.

Wednesday, June 23, 1982
Hans-Rüdi picked me up as usual. Saw that the kids eat American-type breakfast cereal for dinner, and they were sent to bed. Tonight I made dinner with chicken curry on rice, with cucumbers marinated in vinegar and sugar. Dessert was watermelon.

Friday, June 25, 1982
Elisabeth and I left work at 16:00 to go toy shopping. We admired the window of the old town toy shop, but did not go in. We went to Schoeni to buy a Velcro game, and to Franz Carl Weber to buy a frog bubble blower. Since we still had time before our dinner date with the J family, we had iced tea at the Bielstübe. We caught the 17:40 funicular to Leubringen, but discovered we had left the Velcro game at the lower station. So we had to go back down, then return back up to Leubringen, missing the 18:00 “Funi" (a travel agency) bus to Orvin (ticket 1.40 CHF/70 cents). Fortunately, Frau J was also late in meeting us and was there to meet the 18:20 bus with Phillipe. She took us to the house they built themselves where Herr Jeanneret and Marcel were waiting. While the kids opened their toys, Herr J lit a fire in the “Franklin stove.” (Why in the middle of the summer?!) We had dinner, starting with a green salad and tomato slices, and then Herr J went to that stove to make raclette! They offered the option of sprinkling rye seed, paprika, and/or herbs on the cheese to eat it with the boiled potato, tomato wedges, gherkins, and pickled onions. Then it was time for music with Frau J playing piano while Herr J and Phillipe sang. Marcel, who is in our therapy group, sat in the background. After the kids were put to bed, it was decided the adults would go for a walk. We were gone for an hour, leaving the kids alone! We walked through fields and woods, and a nature preserve where horses are pastured. It was 22:15 when we returned to the house for dessert of strawberries, apricots, and peaches as a storm came up. At 23:00, they locked the kids in and drove me to the hospital and Elisabeth to the Biel train station!

Saturday, June 26, 1982
Day of the Braderie Fest, kind of a city-wide street market with carnival rides, a parade, music, and food stalls. I needed to buy a few things and ended up in the crowds downtown where it seemed every shop had a tent with sale items. Because of the tents, the rain did not stop the shopping and eating of sausages, French fries, hamburgers, etc.
I had to make sure my room was clean and all my stuff stored away.

No comments:

Post a Comment