Wednesday, April 21, 1982

Umm, Heading Home to Switzerland (4/20/1982)

Tuesday, April 20, 1982
Frank drove me to the airport at 15:30 for my 16:10 flight to Newark.
Buffalo to Newark ticket
Sat on the runway 15 minutes. Landed at 17:15, but sat for 10 minutes before getting a gate. Went to information to find out how to get from Newark to JFK. There is no bus, and the limousine was booked. A private car would cost $49, so I paid $49.50 to take the helicopter! Six of us were on the 17:52 flight to JFK, and we had to check our bags.
Newark to JFK helicopter ticket
Newark to JFK helicopter baggage check
The pilot drove to the pad with the “H” marked on it, but started lifting off before he reached it. No special sensation, just that the ground left us. We took the direct route as the crow flies! We arrived at 18:15 and it took a bit of a search to find out where to pick up the checked bags. Not at the gate, not at the ticket counter, but at the silver chute next to the refreshment stand. At least one person missed his flight due to waiting for the bags that came out at 18:30. I had to march to the extreme opposite end of the international terminals for the Capitol Air desk. I managed to go through security and check in two hours before my 21:00 flight to Zürich.
JFK to Zürich boarding pass
Went to find “I ♥ NY” buttons. A Northwest Orient flight arrived and the crowd waiting for it began oohing and aahing. I thought there was some famous celebrity, but they were waiting for the mothers bringing adopted babies from Korea. Lots of flashbulbs popping!
We boarded at 20:20 and there were a lot of Swiss people on the plane. Hearing the dialect again was harsh on my ears! As we boarded we were given a plastic bag with black eyeshades, a pair of blue sock-slippers, a box of wooden matches, and an imitation suede pouch containing a toothbrush and toothpaste, comb, razor and shaving cream, a sewing kit, hand lotion, a tiny bottle of perfume, deodorant, and a nail file! Capitol Air is coming up in the world, or they are trying to impress the Swiss.
We took off at 21:30 and were served cocktails. Dinner was at 23:00, a tough steak and diced potatoes, a salad with a crab claw, broccoli and cauliflower, a cream-filled cannoli, roll and butter. What, am I in first class?
I fell asleep until breakfast and never even heard when the movie was shown.

Wednesday, April 21, 1982
Breakfast was at 3:30, a nice dark roll that some of the Americans were saying was too hard, a slice of raisin bread, and orange juice. No hot towels to freshen up. Landed at 5:00 or 12:00 Swiss time. We left the plane on portable steps, and buses took us to the terminal. Long lines at customs, and since I did not check my bag on this flight, I walked straight out through the “Nothing to Declare” lane. Jan was picking me up because her parents were leaving that day, and it turns out they were leaving on the plane on which I had arrived! So I got to meet Mr. and Mrs. B.
Drove to Biel on the Autobahn, arriving at 14:00. I unpacked, did some grocery shopping, and went to the bank. Went to bed shortly after 17:00 and didn’t wake up until it was time to go to work!

No comments:

Post a Comment