Sunday, January 17, 1982

Skiing, Eating, and a Concert (1/17/1982)

Sunday, January 17, 1982
There was a thick white fog when Elisabeth and Michel came to pick me up at 9:00. We drove toward Bern, then Thun, then Zweisimmen where the sky finally cleared. We turned into Diemtigtal/valley, winding along a very narrow road. No snow in the valleys. Arrived at the base of Wiriehorn where skiers were coming to the bottom of the mountain, but were dodging patches of grass. I had to try on two pairs of boots before getting a good fit. Michel tried 5-6 pairs and never had a good fit. The rental here was only 20 CHF/$10 and we were able to leave our regular boots at the shop. We purchased a book of 62 coupons for 48 CHF/$24.
Wiriehorn coupons
The chairlift was 4 coupons and the T-bar was 2 coupons (about 2.60 CHF/$1.30). I was a bit apprehensive of getting off the chairlift, remembering Italy with the sudden dip at the end. But here there was a slight incline and I managed okay. Elisabeth accompanied me on the chairlift, leaving Michel to ride with a stranger. You could hear the crunching of the skiers passing under us, as they hit the crusty ice patches. We then went to the T-bar and there was confusion as to which side you had to leave the T-bar. I was put on the left side, when I probably should have been on the right, since you exited to the right. Elisabeth took off first and the sudden change in pressure caught me unawares, and I was shunted to the left! I drifted into the concrete base of the T-bar support! Embarrassing! I had to back off then wait for the opportunity to cross the path of the T-bar to the right. We started skiing, and for the most part I could parallel ski, but then there were icier steeper sections. We went up again where I was prepared for the T-bar exit. We heard some taped music and they appeared to be readying for ski racing. The third time we went up, I pulled out my camera to take a few pictures and Elisabeth wanted to take an action shot of me!
Wiriehorn ski racing
Elisabeth and Michel
Tamiko and Elisabeth
Tamiko skiing?
We got lunch at the crowded restaurant which was cafeteria-style. We ate outside on the terrace in the wonderful sunlight. After thick fog in Biel for a week, it was nice to see blue sky. After lunch we decided to try the longer T-bar. Michel was ahead of us, when I slipped on an ice patch making my ski wing out. My reaction was to bring my feet together, which crossed my skis. I managed to uncross them, but my balance was off and I slid off the T-bar, taking Elisabeth with me. We went towards the skiing slope, hoping Michel would realize we weren’t coming up and begin his descent. After a long wait, we started down anyway. It was steep and icy; even the better skiers were falling down. We tried traversing and at one point we turned around by lifting one ski and setting it down in the opposite direction (ah, ballet fourth position?), then swinging the other around. We made our way to the shorter T-bar and found Michel. He had come down a different way, and reported he also had fallen off the long T-bar. We went up a couple more times on our “regular” T-bar. On the last trip up on the T-bar, I again did the crossed skis trick and fell off. Elisabeth could have stayed on, but she got off with me. I felt terrible for spoiling her day with my awkwardness, but she said we could get a free lift on the T-bar since we fell off so close to the bottom. And we did! We got in our last run, and Michel used the last two coupons for one more run. As we waited for Michel, we watched skiers appear to ski off the edge of the slope and sometimes straight downhill. The other sunny side of the valley was brown and green from lack of snow. When Michel arrived we sat for a while on the terrace to take advantage of the sun. Shortly after 16:00 the sun disappeared from this part of the valley. When we went to take the chairlift down, I thought Michel and Elisabeth could finally sit together, but Michel took off and left Elisabeth stuck with me!
Turned in our skis and began the drive home. There was a long line of cars leaving the Diemtig valley, and they had to merge with the line of cars coming down the Simmental/valley. Near Spiez we hit the Autobahn. Near Thun we entered the thick fog.
We went to Elisabeth’s and Michel’s house near Lyss, arriving about 18:00. They rent a very old farmhouse, while the farmer lives next door in a new house! The farmer was attending to some calves in a lean-to next to the barn half of their house.
We entered a hall, and at the other end was a door into their half of the building. The kitchen had a tiny refrigerator without a light, so they often used a flashlight to search inside. There was a sink and stove installed next to a pot-bellied stove that provided the heat. The ceiling was lined with burlap. The living room ceiling was beamed wood and slanted, not more than 6’ high. One room was Michel’s office, full of electronic equipment. The bedroom had been redone with wood paneling. A bathroom was added on with a sink and shower. A toilet is down off the entrance hall.
Elisabeth prepared a carrot salad and a beet salad. Michel took me through a secret trap door in the bathroom to his wine cellar. He had over a hundred bottles!
Michel began preparing Rösti, by heating a pan and melting a handful of bacon chunks. Added a generous handful of chopped onion and finally several cups worth of grated potato. (The potatoes had been boiled the previous day and allowed to sit overnight.) The mixture was allowed to heat several minutes, and then Michel took a plate and put it over the pan, flipped the pan so the large potato pancake was on the plate, and slid the pancake back into the pan to brown on the other side. He then made Spiegeleier (literally mirror eggs, actually sunny-side up eggs). They lamented they did not have any meat, only the eggs, but that was fine by me! I was stuffed from my share of the first Rösti, but Michel went ahead and made a second one. It was sooo good!
After dinner we went to an organ concert at the Reformierte Kirche Lyss/Reformed Church of Lyss. The church was brand new and sterile (well, compared to Catholic churches!). Again, it felt funny for me to pay to enter a church, as the concert admission was 10 CHF/$5. The organ was the most prominent thing in the front of the church.
The organist, Andreas Scheuner, looked like a thin school-master. He had a young assistant to turn the sheet music and run from side to side to adjust the stops, or whatever!
The first piece was a classical Sonata Nr. 3 in A-major by Felix Mendelssohn. The next piece was the final movement of La Nativité du Seigneur/The Birth of Our Lord, “Dieu parmi nous/God Among Us” by Olivier Messiaen. It was more modern and to me was just a lot of noise. However, Michel really liked it and I hope he was not offended when I was not enthused about it! The last two pieces were sweet and smooth, almost an anticlimax and certainly boring at points; Grande Pièce Symphonique by César Franck and Passacaglia in E-minor by Max Reger.
Organ concert program
After Michel examined the organ, we headed to Biel, stopping for ice cream at l’Ermitage. Michel demonstrated Swiss etiquette by going through the door first (to case out the joint!). A television was showing a tennis match with Liza Minnelli in attendance. I was dropped off at 22:30. Poor Elisabeth and Michel had farther to go and dishes to do!

No comments:

Post a Comment