Sunday, January 31, 1982

Delémont, St Ursanne, and Porrentruy (1/31/1982)

Sunday, January 31, 1982
Train day pass
Even though it was drizzling, I went into Biel to catch the 9:20 train to Sonceboz. I think this is the first time I took a train that traveled the tracks below Kinderspital, so we went through familiar territory past the old town, below the hospital and past Ried. Next through the Taubenlochschlucht/gorge, like Watkins Glen with an official path at the bottom! Through an industrial valley until we reached Sonceboz, where I changed to a train to Delémont. Through a tunnel, across a valley, through a tunnel/gorge, across a valley, and through a tunnel/gorge, into a valley to arrive in Delémont about 10:30. Saw some grey herons along the river in the gorges. Started walking to a church up on a hill, crossing a one lane stone bridge. Went around the Chapelle Notre-Dame du Vorbourg/Chapel of Our Lady of Vorbourg to the man-made grotto chapel. View down on Delémont.
Returned to the town to follow a main street to the Château de Delémont/Delémont castle, passing a fountain and going out through a city gate, Porte de Porrentruy (1756–59).
St Maurice Fountain
Église St Marcel/St Marcellus Church
Shrine near Église St Marcel/St Marcellus Church
Château de Delémont
Wild Man Fountain
Porrentruy Gate
Outside the gate, you could see an ancient building surrounded by ancient junk.
"Junkyard" and Red Tower
Went back into the old town to another square with Fontaine du Lion/Lion Fountain (16C Renaissance) and city gate, Porte au Loup/Wolf Gate (1775).
Wolf Gate and Lion Fountain
From there I found the city hall.
City Hall and Virgin Fountain
Walked back down the hill to the train station to catch the 11:31 train towards Porrentruy.
Two young kids were on the train and the boy had a list of stops on the way to Porrentruy. I noticed that St Ursanne was a stop between two tunnels. So as we passed through a tunnel, I prepared to get off. The tracks were above a valley with a green river. All the rivers seen today were swollen or flooding. We arrived at 11:55 and I got off on the wrong side of the train. Had to wait for the train to leave before crossing the tracks and starting downhill to the town. A hiking sign stated it would take 20 minutes, so I did it in 10 (it was downhill after all!).
St Ursanne
St Ursanne is surrounded by walls and entered only through gates.
St Peter's Gate
Passed a crumbling trough-like fountain. Crossed the bridge over the Doubs River to get a view back on the town.
Doubs Bridge
On the bridge was a statue of St John of Nepomuk, whom I first met in Prague. Having been thrown to his death off a bridge, he now gets to stand on bridges around the world, protecting against floods.
The buildings along the river had old wooden balconies. Back in the town, I found the Collegiate Church that looked more like a cathedral.
Street in St Ursanne
Collegiate Church
Main street in St Ursanne
It took me 15 minutes to go uphill to the train station, where I caught the 12:29 train to Porrentruy, arriving at 12:45. Now I went off towards the castle I could see from the train. Once in the town, I couldn’t see the castle anymore! Went to the canal where I could see it again with the symbol of Jura painted on the wall.
Château de Porrentruy
Followed the canal, but had to detour back to a street that had large old homes.
Big house
Turned right on Rue Pierre-Péquignat to cross the canal to the castle side. Found myself on a street with gates at each end of only a few blocks. The gate to the east had a clock on it.
France Gate inside
France Gate outside with clock
I tried to head up to the castle, but the streets either reached a dead end or led me away.
I can see the castle...
I heard two women talking to each other across the street from their second story windows. I ended up back in the old town at Hôtel de Ville/City Hall with a bronze statue of a boar (on the coat of arms) out front. There was a fountain in the market area. Found the Hôtel-Dieu/Hospital with its intricate wrought-iron gates.
Hôtel-Dieu/Hospital
Porrentruy main street
Back to the train station for the 14:24 train to Biel, arriving about 15:30. The town was bustling with people on their Sunday strolls.

No comments:

Post a Comment