Sunday, November 15, 1981

Christmas Shopping and Venison Meal (11/7, 14/1981)

Saturday, November 7, 1981
This was supposed to be an ordinary weekend of doing chores: shopping, cleaning, laundry, sewing repairs, etc. However, I decided to take the 12:52 train into Bern, arriving after 13:00. I tried calling Rosie S who had moved into her own apartment, but she was not at home.
I went Christmas shopping. Found a lot of Christmas cards and spent nearly 50 CHF/$25. They gave me the free ruler even though I didn’t spend the full 50 CHF. I checked out the Loeb department store Christmas window displays. Several St Nicklauses circling around with all sorts of gift ideas.
I tried to call Rosie again, but no answer. Took the 14:41 train back to Biel.
In my recent train rides I have been seeing piles and piles of a harvested root vegetable, a lumpy object, in fields and in railroad flat cars. They are too big to be potatoes and they have greens like a turnip. (I was to later find out these are sugar beets.)
Back in Biel, street vendors sold roasted chestnuts.
Back at the hospital, the flag was flying upside down. A mistake or did someone die?

Saturday, November 14, 1981
I have been here for four months!
Train day pass
Caught the 8:20 train to Zürich where the sun was peeking through the clouds. Arrived about 10:00 and headed down Bahnhofstrasse/Train Station Street to window shop. Thoroughly explored the Globus department store for gift ideas, then Jemoli. Arrived at Sprüngli Confectioners and saw that they had Advent Calendars with a piece of chocolate for each day. Bought one for 34 CHF/$17. It did not fit into my canvas tote, nor into a store bag, so I had to carry it under my arm. There was no flea market today. Checked out the Swiss Handicraft Shop. Returned up the other side of Bahnhofstrasse to window shop. Name brand watches are out of my price range. Stopped at a Sprüngli branch store to buy a 300 g/10-ounce box of truffles for 15.50 CHF/$7.70.
I caught the 11:10 train to Bern. I dozed off and awoke to find the ground was covered with snow! It was coming down in big beautiful flakes. Arrived in Bern at 12:30 and called Rosie S. She had a visitor but took a few minutes to answer some professional questions. Then Christmas shopping in Bern. Bought non-Christmas items at Loeb department store. At the Bastelzentrum I found a cow bell for Kathy. I saw some kids with McDonald’s balloons; I didn’t know there was a McDonald’s in Bern. Went into four more department stores and toy stores. As I headed back to the train station I found the McDonald’s. Had a Big Mac Attack!
Caught the 15:41 train back to Biel.
Tonight I was invited to accompany Jan and Kirby to the S family’s house for dinner. I had worked with Michael and Lucas before Elisabeth came back from her course. But they had originally been Jan’s patients and now she had them back. The boys were initially shy, but then Lucas talked and talked and Michael ate and ate. I gave them the Advent Calendar as a hospitality gift. We had appetizers of salty flaky pastries made by the men of the family. At about 20:00, the kids went to bed and we began dinner. First a salad with a wonderful dressing. A venison stew in a peppery sauce and Spätzlesquiggly doughy egg noodles or dumplings. Also baked apples with currant jelly and cranberry sauce made by Kirby. After dinner we watched the landing of the Columbia Space Shuttle. Then we had pineapple and currants with whipped cream and coffee. At 23:30, Andreas had to go to work at Electro-voice and had to check on the sound engineers covering a jazz convention at Biel’s Kongresshaus. Said our goodbyes and thank-yous to Madelein. A real Swiss dinner! I think this was my first venison; it was pretty good considering I liked the peppery sauce. I loved the “Spätzeli”!
The caffeine in the coffee kept me awake, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment