Sunday, November 1, 1981

St Moritz (10/30/1981)

Friday, October 30. 1981
Awoke at 7:30 and went to catch the 9:13 train to Zürich. Slept a lot on the train. Changed to the 11:00 train to Chur, arriving at 13:00. Switched right over to the 13:00 narrow gauge Rhätische Bahn/Rhaetian Railway headed for St Moritz. I stayed awake to admire the scenery as we climbed our way up a steep valley.
The snow got deeper and deeper. Once in a while you could look back on the high arched bridges the train had crossed. We circled around in tunnels to get three views of Bergün. Passed many small villages with a church steeple and mountain backdrops. There were wonderful views straight down into mountain streams dotted with snow covered rocks. We arrived in St Moritz about 15:00. There was about 2 feet of snow, and it was cold and cloudy. In order to get back home before the last train, I took the 15:10 local train back out of St Moritz. Because it went slowly down the valley, I was able to take photographs.
Celerina
Samedan
Bever
Stream near Bever
I spotted three white-tailed deer in the woods. But then it got dark. As we neared Thusis, the conductor told me I should change to an express train heading to Chur. In Thusis got the 17:30 train to Chur, arriving in rain shortly after 18:00. Boarded the 18:18 train for Zürich which I thought only ran on Sundays and holidays. Instead of waiting for the train to Biel, I caught a train to Bern, to catch the 21:43 fast train to Biel. Home by 22:30 and again fell into bed.

Saturday, October 31, 1981
No Halloween here!
Caught the 8:20 train to Olten, arriving about 9:00, and changed to the 9:28 train to Luzern. Arrived at 10:15 and went Christmas shopping. I found all kinds of stores, but only purchased two Wengler Swiss Army knives. I also bought what I thought were chocolate malted balls, but they contained liqueurs! The train to Bern was a local and the conductor who spoke American-like English told me to change to the fast train in Langnau. Arrived in Bern at about 15:30. Some shopping at Loeb department store, but I was getting tired. Took the 15:41 train back to Biel.
My Eurail Pass vacation is over.

No comments:

Post a Comment