Tuesday, September 8, 1981

Matterhorn (9/6/1981)

Sunday, September 6, 1981
Awoke early to catch the 7:52 train to Interlaken. Déjà vu! The train to Interlaken usually includes cars heading to Brig, but today there were extra reserved cars full of people in traditional dress, and no cars for Brig. All this traffic for the second day of the Unspunnenfest. I changed in Bern for a train to Brig leaving at 8:47 that left late. Many people disembarked at Thun and Spiez, perhaps to catch boats to Interlaken.
At Mülenen you could see the funicular that appeared to go right to the top of the Niesen mountain. We passed through a lovely valley of scattered chalets as we climbed up towards the mountain tops. We apparently spiraled our way up as we passed the same areas twice, but at higher levels.
Kandersteg has a chairlift to Oeschinensee/Lake and the end station for the car transport train that goes through the Lötschberg Tunnel. We zoomed through the tunnel ourselves, arriving at the other end in Goppenstein, 14.6 km/9.1 miles later. Hard to believe they began digging the tunnel in 1906, and service began in 1913. We then went through a series of shorter tunnels, coming out to look straight down in a deep valley. It wasn’t as pretty as the previous valley, but because of our height above it, it was spectacular. As we traveled along the valley, we slowly lost altitude as the haze started to clear.
In Brig, I only had a minute to catch the narrow gauge train to Zermatt which left from in front of the station. Since my day pass was only good to Visp, I had to purchase a half-price round-trip ticket to Gornergrat. I was shocked by the steep price at 35 CHF/$17.50. Others have to pay 70 CHF/$35! I made it to the bright red train and took one of the few empty seats. Everyone else seemed to be Swiss and I wondered where all the foreigners were. I did see signs indicating the Eurail Pass was not valid here.
We left Brig about 11:00 and headed up the same valley I had come down, except we stayed at the bottom. You could see the concrete embankments of the main railroad as it climbed up the mountainside. At Visp we turned south into a narrower valley that was very similar to the valley I had driven up to view the Matterhorn from the opposite side in Italy! A mountain stream tumbled down the middle of the steep sided valley with all its trees and rock outcroppings. Peeking above the nearer mountains was a snow-capped peak, but since we kept traveling on, that wasn’t the Matterhorn.
At the St Nicklaus station, some foreigners boarded the train. For a long time this was the farthest you could come by car, before taking the train. On a rocky “landslide” I saw some movement; two chamois! Most of the buildings had roofs lined with flat stones, and we passed a quarry where it seemed these flat stones were collected. Saw the “mazots,” small wooden buildings with stone rooftops built on stilts. At the top of each stilt was a flat round stone, like a squirrel guard on small trees. These are supposed to keep out the rats. A few Swiss chocolate brown cows. Mostly towns of vacation chalets. The train suddenly became very crowded at Täsch, which was another vacation chalet town, but also had a large parking lot. This must be the current end of the road for cars. People oohed and aahed at all the parked cars, but having been to US football stadium parking lots during a game, this was nothing!
Our train ran on regular tracks, but once in a while slowed down to latch onto a rack for climbing. Just as we entered the town of Zermatt, you could see the Matterhorn. It is such a unique mountain peak, I wondered how I could have thought that previous snow-capped mountain was it.
Arrived in Zermatt after 1-1/2 hours at 12:30. In the station square were several types of vehicles waiting to transport people to various hotels. There were dozens of electric carts, and horse-drawn carriages and wagons. I did see one private car, and the only other gas-powered vehicle was an ambulance.
First view of Matterhorn in Zermatt
Electric vehicles in the square
Matterhorn
Train from Brig to Zermatt
Now it was time to catch the Gornergratbahn/Gorner Ridge Railway. I was able to bypass the ticket line since I already had a ticket. A conductor punched your ticket and you went through a turnstile. You had to check the numbers on the wall to see which had a green light. It was number 3, so we went to the line for Gate 3. We had to pass through another turnstile before boarding the car. The car had graded shallow steps for a floor, so that on flat ground, everything was tilted back a bit. I took a forward-facing seat, and felt like I would slide forward off it. Many people were not paying attention and tripped on the steps. Especially the two old drunk men with red faces in old hiking clothes who made a loud ruckus. As our car filled up, I imagine the green light for #4 turned on. After the two-car train was full, we departed at 13:00. Once the train started climbing on the rack, everything was level inside.
Zermatt was a town of chalet hotels, restaurants, and vacation apartments, interspersed with little wooden “mazots.” We crossed over a green river in a concrete channel. The French girl across from me thought it was the Rhône River. But this was a tributary, since the Rhône is in the Brig/Visp valley.
As usual, I was on the wrong side of the train to watch the Matterhorn appear closer and closer. Although the Matterhorn is average in height (4478 m/14691’) for the Pennine Alps, the fact that it stands alone makes it outstanding! Because the sides are so steep, snow doesn’t stay on the pyramidal mountain. The east face looked like it would be easy to climb, which I am sure is an illusion.
A group on the train serenaded us with yodeling during the trip. We stopped at Findelbach in the woods, and then Riffelalp at the tree line. We zigged and zagged and climbed up under a protective overhand for quite a ways before reaching Riffelberg with its hotel. This was supposed to be the closest view I would get of the Matterhorn. The train then moved away from the Matterhorn as we climbed through rocky areas with scrubby grass and snow puddles. You could see the hiking trails and occasional trail signs. All around were snow-covered peaks. We reached Gornergrat at 13:45. I joined the crowd waiting to show their tickets to exit the station. A couple speaking English were dismayed when they thought they had to buy a ticket for the aerial cable car in order to leave the station. The misunderstanding was heightened by a man loudly arguing with the conductor. I explained to the couple the practice of showing your ticket at the end of the line, and they were very relieved.
Gornergratbahn
Gornergratbahn with the Matterhorn
End of the line in the Pennine Alps
Gornergrat had a chapel, souvenir shop, and restaurant.
Kulmhotel Gornergrat
The Kulmhotel (1897-1907) is the highest in Switzerland at 3100 m/10236’ and has two astronomical observatories. 
Gornergrat Chapel (1950)
Matterhorn
Matterhorn
Matterhorn from highest point in Gornergrat
Gornergrat Glacier
Gornergratbahn
Gornergratbahn rack rails
Below was a small lake that was sapphire blue.
Hiking trail and blue lake
From Gornergrat you can see the tallest peak in Switzerland: Monte Rosa at 4634 m/15203’.
Monte Rosa

I hadn’t had to do much walking on this trip, but now I had trouble going downhill from the observation point to the souvenir shop. Perhaps from all the climbing yesterday, today I woke up with an aching left knee that was okay with weight-bearing, but didn’t like active flexion or initial swing phase! Going down stairs or downhill, the pain was in the lateral aspect of the knee.
I returned to the train station and caught the 14:45 back to Zermatt. I sat on the proper side of the train, but this time the sun was in the wrong place! Saw some sheep near the protective overhang (for avalanches).
Riffelberg Chapel (1961) and Matterhorn
Avalanche protective covering over tracks
Zermatt valley and funicular
Leaving the Matterhorn
Zermatt valley
Matterhorn across the Zermatt valley
Zermatt
Mazot seen from train
Ski lock-up at train station
Gornergratbahn station
In Zermatt I wandered a bit, finding mazots (small wooden raised hay barns, some on stilts) and the Monte Rosa Hotel, one of the first hotels in town.
Mazot
Mazot
Passed a large church and a tiny cemetery. I was passed by electric taxis that quietly snuck up behind you. Also passed by horse-drawn vehicles that jingled in warning. Saw a St Bernard dog that seemed to have especially long legs. Lots of skiers in full regalia carrying skis and poles. Apparently most of the aerial cable car users are skiers. Saw the aerial cable cars for Trockenersteg and Schwarzsee.
Aerial cable car
Channelized Matter Vispa River
Zermatt main street
Electric vehicles
After a long walk on the straight or uphill, my knee loosened up and felt good. But on returning to the station on a slight incline, it tightened up.
On the way down from Zermatt to Brig, my ears plugged up, and my head drained through a runny nose. In Brig my ears and nose were hopelessly plugged. Arrived in Brig by 18:00 and caught the 18:07 train to Bern. Something happened to Swiss efficiency when we entered the series of  tunnels; they forgot to turn on the lights. Unfortunate for the fellow across the aisle who was trying to read a book, Fascinating for me to find no difference in opening or closing my eyes. And fun for a couple kids who changed seats in the dark, to be surprised where the other was sitting when we hit daylight. By the time we reached the extremely long Lötschberg Tunnel, they remembered to turn on the lights!
I was joined by a couple guys, and the one sprinkled his talking with Italian expressions and used an excessive amount of hand gesturing. I had forgotten how much the Italians used their hands, and realized Germans don’t use their hands at all. The companion spoke only Sveetseer-dootch and kept his hands in his lap. I wondered if the other fellow, now throwing in some French and high-German, was trying to get a reaction from me. Even though he was easy to understand, I was Miss Stone Face.
Arrived in Bern at 19:50. Took the 20:05 train to Biel, which was a local, arriving at 20:45. My knee didn’t mind the uphill walk home too much.

Monday, September 7, 1981
Labor Day in the U.S. and I sure did labor today!
After work I hobbled down to the library to turn in my books. I thought the librarian would give me my library card, but she just thanked me for the books. I picked out some more books including "Sophie’s Choice" in German, and went to check out. I expected her to ask for my library card, and I would have to say I haven’t received it yet. She didn’t even ask for my name as she stamped the books and wished me a good evening!

No comments:

Post a Comment