Monday, September 14, 1981

Château de Chillon (9/13/1981)

Sunday, September 13, 1981
Decided to sleep in today, until 8:00! Caught the 9:58 train to Lausanne. It was so cloudy and dark, I got the impression it was earlier in the day! We traveled through vineyard country. In Lausanne I changed to a local to Villeneuve leaving about 11:00. This train stopped at every town along Lac/Lake Léman. I was able to see grapes on the vines, mostly green, some purple. Most of the vines are covered by blue or yellow netting, or by white “floss,” or there are streamers strung across the fences. Some green netting was full of grapes hanging from vines climbing the walls of a house; the netting kept them out of the way of the door.

I got off the train at Territet, because it seemed closer to my destination of Château de Chillon/Chillon Castle. I saw that I could take a boat to the castle, but not for 35 minutes. I started walking along the shore of the lake, a promenade with flowers and benches. Rounding a bend, I saw the castle in the water, and it was pretty close.
Approaching Château de Chillon/Chillon Castle
Château de Chillon and excursion boat
Mazot
After only 15-20 minutes, I had arrived. I was afraid they would be closed at lunchtime. There were a lot of tourists and it was open. Bought the 3 CHF/$1.50 ticket and followed the floorplan on the multilingual ticket.
Château de Chillon ticket
Bridge to the castle
Château de Chillon/Chillon Castle is first mentioned in 1005. Since the mid-12th century it was home to the Dukes of Savoy.
Castle courtyard
The guards’ lodge had a few furnishings, but the cellar was bare. There was a prison cell that held François Bonivard, a Swiss patriot from Geneva. His story was made famous by the poet Lord Byron. The bigger tourist attraction was the graffiti left by Byron, where he scratched his name on a stone post in the dungeon. That autograph is now covered with hard plastic.
I followed a young couple down into the crypt, which wasn’t on the plan. They even knew of a second stairway to exit. The Great Hall was well-furnished and showed off a collection of pewter. You could walk through the room among the furniture; it wasn’t roped off like in so many museums.
Upstairs to the Castle Keeper’s Hall with a magnificent ceiling. Up another floor to a furnished bedroom and guest room, and other rooms with tapestries and framed paintings. There was even a latrine room. After the chapel, went up another floor to the Baron’s Hall that looked like a legislative assembly.  A torture chamber and other rooms. A room with models of what the castle looked like over time.
Balcony door
Castle rooftops
Courtyard
Castle tower
I began the climb up in the tallest tower. After a few flights, you had to make your way in the dark! At one point my heel hit a low spot and I had the feeling I could have fallen backwards. The wooden stairs became narrower and were half worn away. A bit scary, but I forged ahead. Up at the top there were wonderful views down on the rooftops of the castle and the other towers.
View from tower
It was too cloudy to see Mont Blanc or any snow-covered mountains. Heading back down, at one point I wasn’t sure where the next flight of stairs was, but my nose found it (fresher air?). I walked along the ramparts past a couple defense towers before leaving.
Castle fountain
Defense towers and moat
Leaving Château de Chillon
At the Biel post office vending machine I had purchased two 20 Rappen/centime stamps and two 10 Rappen/centime stamps. I used one 20 and one 10 along with the 70 Rappen/centime stamp from Einsiedeln to mail one postcard. I figured I would easily be able to get another 70 Rp stamp, but I figured wrong. It was 12:30 and the next boat didn’t leave until 13:20 and the next train at 13:30. I decided to walk to Montreux.
I walked past all the resort hotels in Montreux, old and new. Once downtown I followed the signs to the train station. I saw some banners and placards about the Montreux-Vevey Music Fest, but no dates. Checked all the postal vending machines along the way, but no stamps.
Took the 13:30 train to Lausanne. There was a McDonald’s in front of the train station. Headed uphill to the cathedral which was farther than I thought. Crossed a bridge where you could view the city below. I came around behind the cathedral, passing the university and a Wendy’s. The Cathédrale Notre-Dame/Cathedral of Our Lady was a magnificent gothic structure, consecrated in 1275. Inside it was plain, the result of the Protestant Reformation.
Cathédrale Notre-Dame/Cathedral of Our Lady portal
Cathédrale Notre-Dame/Cathedral of Our Lady
Cathédrale Notre-Dame/Cathedral of Our Lady
Cathédrale Notre-Dame/Cathedral of Our Lady on hilltop
I returned to the station on a longer route, following signs that a car would use.
I ordered a McDonald’s meal, but here it wasn’t fast food, so that I just made it to the 16:00 train to Biel. It was standing room only, so I waited to take the 16:11 to Neuchâtel. I had my own seat to leisurely eat my American meal! At 17:00 changed in Neuchâtel and was soon home.

Tuesday, September 15, 1981
My probation period is over! I still have the job!

No comments:

Post a Comment