Friday, January 14, 1983

Birthday Celebrations (1/11-14/1983)

Tuesday, January 11, 1983
After dinner Marsha Cotter and I got dressed up and took the bus down to Mühlebrücke. We walked over to the Stadttheater/City Theater, checked our coats, and got a program for 1.50 CHF/75cents. I tried to translate the synopsis for Marsha. Marsha was treating me to a performance of “My Fair Lady” for my birthday!
Stadttheater ticket
My Fair Lady program cover

Our seats were in the balcony at the end of the row next to the wall, and we could only see half the stage, but the staging was such that it didn’t matter. The performance began at 20:00, and with one intermission it ended at 23:30. At the theater we saw a hospital physical therapist, a nurse, and the chief nurse. I enjoyed the show, but overheard someone say “It was terrible.” Ah, those critical Swiss! Ha, Ha!

Thursday, January 13, 1983
I went to Jan & Kirby’s house at 19:30 and they gave me birthday gifts of a big chocolate praline and a ceramic putti (della Robbia copy of those we had seen in Florence)! Marsha C arrived after her German class and we had tacos filled with chopped beef, lettuce, tomatoes, shredded cheese, guacamole, sour cream and hot sauce. Then they got out all of their candles, at least eight in various sizes, and lit them. I tried to blow them all out in one breath, but missed the last one. We had moist chocolate brownies for dessert.

Friday, January 14, 1983
It started snowing in the afternoon. After work Marsha C and I went down into the old town to the Tschung Wa Restaurant in the Burg. Ruth D had called in reservations for three of us, but I was unable to get a hold of Helen Sr. So it was only the two of us for my birthday dinner where I treat. We had a front corner table near the window. A waitress came to our table to get our order, but we weren’t ready. She apparently heard our English, and sent over one of the Asian guys. He spoke English well, but didn’t look like the manager we had seen before. Marsha got a cognac for her cold and I had a Schweppes. Marsha had hot ‘n’ sour soup with an egg roll, and I had a big chicken salad, with chunks of chicken on lettuce with bean sprouts and mushrooms. Marsha had Henniez to drink with dinner. We shared regular and fried rice, shrimp with cashews, and chicken Szechuan which had vegetables and a spicy sauce. It continued to gustily snow outside, and cars were sliding or wouldn’t go at all. We kept our eyes out for the familiar manager, and still wondered if it was our waiter after all. The bill came to 64.40 CHF/$32.
Birthday Dinner bill
Back at the hospital Marsha and I had a snowball fight, then made a snowman in the middle of the director’s parking spot!

No comments:

Post a Comment