Friday, September 17, 1982

Return to Switzerland (9/2-17/1982)

Thursday, September 2, 1981
Said goodbye to Daddy as he left for work. I discovered my alarm clock wasn’t working, so went to Brand Names to get a watch with an alarm. The first one didn’t work right and I had to exchange it for another.
At about 15:00, Frank, Paul & Mommy drove me to the airport. Checked in at 15:30 for the 16:25 USAir flight to Kennedy in NYC.
Buffalo to NYC Kennedy ticket receipt
It was delayed until 17:05, and took off at 17:25. Landed an hour later at a super-crowded airport. People were sardined in the buildings and traffic was terrible. I walked out of the TWA terminal to the Delta/Northwest terminal. The Capitol Air counter was empty and everyone was too busy to ask what happened. I caught the airlines connection bus to the British Airways terminal. Apparently Capitol Air has moved to the other side of the airport. The bus took a long time because of the traffic. The driver honked at everyone and he used his loudspeaker to berate people in his way. Arrived at the Capitol Air counter at 19:15, but they were letting the Los Angeles passengers have priority. I got to the desk 19:25 and they told me to check in at Gate 7 at 19:30!
NYC Kennedy to Zürich ticket receipt
After I hurried to do that, we then just sat and waited. When we boarded, we got plastic bags with eyeshades, footies, and a kit with deodorant, toothbrush and toothpaste, comb, nail file, lotion, razor and shaving cream, cologne, and a sewing kit. We were scheduled to leave at 20:00, but didn’t leave the gate until 21:15. We were then told we were joining a 3-mile long line for takeoff! Took off at 22:00. My seats were in Row 2 on both flights!
Given cold wet towels just before eating. I refused the champagne but wasn’t given a substitute drink. Dinner was a thick piece of veal with noodles and zucchini in a tomato sauce, a peas and carrots salad with liverwurst, and a crab leg. Also a roll with Bel Paese cheese, and a dessert cake that I didn’t eat. Fell asleep. Awoke from a doze to find almonds and a mint; I ate the later that was slightly melted.

Friday, September 3, 1982
I awoke to find breakfast in front of me; orange juice and raisin bread, and I had a bite of the dark roll.
We landed in Zürich at 11:45 Swiss time. I was first off the plane and into the bus taking us to the terminal. My passport was carefully scrutinized at customs and I was checked into the computer. I went to the airport train station and was able to extend my half-price pass for another year for 315 CHF/$157. Bought a half-price ticket to Biel for 14 CHF/$7.
Zürich to Biel train ticket
Caught the 12:19 train to the Zürich Bahnhof/train station, and changed to the 13:04 train to Biel, arriving at 14:30. Took the bus up to Kinderspital/Children's Hospital Wildermeth, where I ran into Frau J for a chat. They were expecting me at the reception desk and Frau F gave me my room key and a plastic bag from Kirby. I climbed the stairs to the Personalhaus/staff residence, to my new room #51 on the third floor, next door to my old room!
In the bag from Kirby were lots of magazines, the sweatshirt I had forgotten in Florence, and a top and nightshirt they rescued from the trash can there!

Saturday, September 4, 1982
Finally got out of bed at noon! Sent off a letter to my parents, and picked up my bag from the CP Station, and later did grocery shopping. I almost didn’t make it up those shortcut stairs! Boy, I am out of shape! I had to lie on my bed until my heart calmed down!

Tuesday, September 7, 1982
Invited to Jan & Kirby’s for dinner, arriving at 19:00. I was very little help in preparing and eating the delicious meal; starting with a choice of two patés (one spicy with peppercorns) on bread, tortellini in Kirby’s special cream and cheese sauce, and ratatouille. After digesting a bit, we had salad. Then tea or coffee and meringue.
I was going to tell Jan & Kirby that I really liked that they didn’t bicker about money. Since I am not very forceful in giving people money, or to keep them from giving me money, I really appreciate when people do forget it when I tell them to forget about paying me for a book here, or postage there. But alas, Jan & Kirby spoiled it all by giving me a check before I left! Plus they fed me…

Thursday, September 16, 1982
I went to the Biel library to find it has been computerized! When I gave them my name to check out a book, I was given a plastic card with a barcode. The girl put it in the machine, and my name and address showed up with the number of books I have been checking out, and my language as German. She then aimed a laser gun at the barcode of the book, and the title and call number showed up on the computer screen. A receipt printed out showing when I took it out and when it is due. I can now take out as many books as I want for a period of six weeks. What a system for the tiny Biel library!
I am going to try reading James Michener’s The Covenant in German.

Friday, September 17, 1982
I took film to be developed at the ABM department store, since I had a coupon for free developing. I hope I was right in asking only for development, and won’t get back only negatives!

Met Jong-Soon in Migros and took the bus back to Wildermeth with her. Since I didn’t have my multi-ride ticket, I bought a single ticket for 90 Rappen/centimes/50 cents. I put two 50-centime coins in the machine and received no change. Oh, well. Jong-Soon didn’t buy a ticket and I gather she never does. God will provide!

No comments:

Post a Comment